Topic: Just introducing myself...

I'm new here and like the title says I'd like to introduce myself to the community smile 

I'm a C#/ASP.NET developer who is quickly becoming interested in Ruby/RoR and might be looking to make a full transition at some point (although not for a while as my day job is developing ASP.NET stuff).  I've bought the book "Agile Web Development with Rails" and I'm starting to work through it for the second time around.

The only problem I run into seems to be a lack of any real "ideas" that I could turn into a RoR app in order to learn more of how things work; I can only learn so much by reading the book.. it feels like I'm not learning anything but just typing what I see, and then I see all of these advanced RoR applications online and feel as though I'm not going to be able to grasp it.  I've never been very creative as far as coming up with ideas--hopefully this won't be too much of a problem, and with luck I can start to come up with some as I become more involved in the RoR community.

I've actually started to chronicle my journey with a brand new website/blog: http://www.rubykoolaid.com (I've only just started it, so it's a bit bare right now).  I look forward to participating a bit more on the forums and groups for RoR in the future; I'm really starting to enjoy the language, the community and the framework.

Wayne M.

Re: Just introducing myself...

Welcome to the forums. smile

I recommend thinking up a project that interests you. Pick a hobby/sport you like and build a Rails site to keep track of it. This way you aren't copying directly from a book.

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

Re: Just introducing myself...

wayne.m wrote:

The only problem I run into seems to be a lack of any real "ideas" that I could turn into a RoR app in order

I've actually started to chronicle my journey with a brand new website/blog: http://www.rubykoolaid.com (I've only just started it, so it's a bit bare right now)..

How about making the software for your blog? You could port your blog to it as soon as it's done.

I first made a contact list for myself. Then a journal. and a few other things for my personal use. Then I made a web site for my the non-profit I run, then the blog, and now am finishing a store. I'm learning programming from scratch with all this, so for you it should go much faster.

You could find a local non-profit that you could help as well.