Topic: Hey, this is nice....

Ok, I still have a lot to learn, but after procrastinating for a year, I finally took the plunge and decided I was going to learn rails (RailsDay inspired me). I started following a few tutorials yesterday (I actually have Agile Web Development, it's just at the office downtown... going to bring it home tomorrow) and ended up confusing myself. Today I tossed all that aside, took what little bit I had picked up from it and sat down the the Rails API docs to get me through the trouble spots as I ran across them. I had a fully functional (albeit a bit simple) app of my own design up and running in just over 3hrs (that includes time spent customizing the layout a fair bit). That's not bad at all considering how little I knew when I started.

I have plans to further expand the project and make it into something useful to people other than myself, as a way of learning RoR, but I am very pleased with what I accomplished tonight and how it all came together. The more I do, the more I'm starting to enjoy the simple, yet powerful language and man, is rails powerful.

To anyone else who, like myself, had struggled with Rails in the past and had somewhat given up on it (I believe there are a couple people who've mentioned having the same problems I did initially), spending some serious time exploring object-oriented programming principles really seems to be what made the difference for me in tersm of things actually making sense this time around.

Wow, no doubt I have a long journey ahead of me still, but I'm enjoyinig the ride.

Re: Hey, this is nice....

Yeah, the Rails API really helped me understand a lot of things that even the Agile Web Development book didn't explain very well. It was an immense help when learning.

Another good thing to do is find a free app (i.e. Typo, Tracks, etc.), download it, and examine the source code. Just make sure that 1) you get a version of the app that works with the version of Rails you're using wink, and 2) the app tries to follow good practices.

vinnie - rails forum admin

Yah, I haven't dug inito anyone else's code yet, but I was seriously considering downloading something like Typo and having a look. I have a few other things I need to finish first, though. *sigh*

I've been very happy with my experience so far.  I agree that a lot of times you don't have to go beyond the api to find help.  I learned this from java, where I have a comfortable corner in the API where I'll reside for long periods of time.

The thing I like most about Rails is that they really did think of just about everything.  It's all solved for you before hand, and you can concentrate on the business. 

Now I'm starting to learn Ruby itself, and I'm blown way.  Blocks Rock Dude!

Yeah, I was skeptical of Rails at first, but after using it for a couple weeks it suddenly clicked. Now every day I find more and more reasons to love rails. Sure it's not perfect, but it is by far the most enjoyable programming environment I've been in.

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts