Topic: Cascading Menu

Hey guys - Thanks for looking. 

I currently have a working select menu:

<% form_tag do %>
    <%= select (:project, :status, @status_options) %>
<% end %>

Where status_options is an array of arrays in the form of [[Option 1, option_1],[Option 2, option_2]etc].  This allows me to submit the "humanized" value through a "railsified" variable. 

What I'm trying to do now is show and hide certain DIVs according to what's been selected.  When Option 1 is selected, I want Option 2 and Option 3 DIVs to be hidden, and Option 1 to appear.  This is serving a mother-child select menu requirement. 

I currently have the DIVs set to style = "display: none", which I would like to toggle according to what's been selected.  I've seen a few javascript solutions, but I haven't found a sample that works with ruby.  Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks again for looking smile.

Re: Cascading Menu

I currently have the interface working, but not the submission. 

<% form_tag do %>
                    <%= select (:project, :status, @status_options, {:include_blank => nil},{:onchange => " if(this.value.match(/option1/i)){
$('option1').show(); } else {
$('option1').hide(); }
if(this.value.match(/option2/i)){
$('option2').show(); } else {
$('option2').hide(); }  "})%>

My DIVs:

<div id = "option1" style = "display: none">
    <% form_tag do %>
        <%= select (:project, :probability, @status_option1) %>
    <% end %>
</div>

<div id = "option2" style = "display: none">
    <% form_tag do %>
        <%= select (:project, :probability, @status_option2) %>
    <% end %>
</div>

And my global "choices" from ApplicationContoller:

@status_option1 = [["Probability",nil],["High (70%)",0.7],["Medium (50%)",0.5],["Low (30%)",0.3]]
@status_option2 = [["Probability",nil],["High (50%)",0.5],["Medium (20%)",0.2],["Low (10%)",0.1]]

I couldn't get "else-if" to work, so I was rather crude.  If anyone sees an obvious reason why the probability variable isn't being submitted, let me know.  Thanks smile

After looking at the generated HTML, I now know it's because the "probability" is being passed as a string, as opposed to integer.  Trying to figure out how to get it passed as an int...  lol

Anyone out there?  I've tried to use partials but I'm not sure how to get this "concept" working.  I know I can't use render here...

<%= select (:project, :status, @status_options, {:include_blank => nil},{:onchange => render :partial => ("this.value" + "probs")})%>

Hi,

Ok.. Here's what you can do:

<% form_tag do %>
    <%= select (:project, :status, @status_options) %>
<% end %>
<div id="project_options_contianer">
    <div id = "option_1" style = "display: none" class="project_option">
        <% form_tag do %>
            <%= select (:project, :probability, @status_option1) %>
        <% end %>
    </div>

# your other divs go here, but they all need the same "project_option" class
</div>
# application.js
document.observe("dom:loaded", function() {

$('project_status').observe("change", function() {
    $('project_options_container').select('project_option').each(function(e){
      e.hide();
    })
    $(this).show();
  })

});

So what happens is, when you change the select, all divs are hidden, and then the one you actually did select is displayed.

And one other thing-- You have a problem because all of your project option selects have the same id... <%= select (:project, :probability, ...) %>  -- All your element ids need to have unique names, so you need to figure out a different way to do this.

Also your div ids need to match your @status_options values..  So if they are "option_1" in they array, the div needs to be "option_1" as well.

-patrick

Last edited by patrick99e99 (2009-08-30 02:43:57)