Topic: Rails Performace today and tomorrow

Hi guys,
I hope you could explain to me the reasons why that happens and why the "others" can.
Ruby 1.8.6 is kind of slow comparing to php and python,why?
There is nothing that can be done to beat php and python?
I heard python has twisted,http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/,if that helps, does rails have something similar?
Everybody knows Php is not a well feature language like ruby, specially in OO department, but it's getting better,how a language that has some flaws like that can be faster than ruby?
Is it because Php was done thinking in web and ruby not?
I know some good code and tweaks on mem can help but cannot beat those 2 languages in speed(18.6).
What about multicore/threading capabilities, ruby 1.9 is faster but doesn't have support for that, how come php and python have already a solution for that.
Is not about talking bad about ruby and eventually rails, how such a beautiful language that you kill to work with can be badder than the competitors.
What's more,Ruby is one of the languages with more advanced books available,screencats,video tutorials,awesome community, what can be done...
What's the plans for Ruby 2.0 as far performance?
I would like to understand some of those topics to sell Ruby and Rails better to my clients, specially against Django,Zend,CakePhp.
Thanks.

Re: Rails Performace today and tomorrow

Reading that hurt my brain a bit

Anyone?

dereks wrote:

Hi guys,
I hope you could explain to me the reasons why that happens and why the "others" can.
Ruby 1.8.6 is kind of slow comparing to php and python,why?

Do you mean Ruby 1.8.6 is slower than PHP 1.0 or PHP 6.0?  Ruby stable is 1.9.x.  Much faster than 1.8.6 in many areas.  Who cares. 

dereks wrote:

There is nothing that can be done to beat php and python?

C# and Java "beat" them.  But then again, C++ beats C# and Java.  And Assembly beats C++.  And raw machine code beats assembly.

Is there anything that can be done?  Sure, pick one of the three and master it.  Then you won't care who beats who (or should that be whom?)

dereks wrote:

I heard python has twisted,http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/,if that helps, does rails have something similar?

Rails is a framework.  Python is a language.  Learn the difference.

dereks wrote:

Everybody knows Php is not a well feature language like ruby, specially in OO department, but it's getting better,how a language that has some flaws like that can be faster than ruby?
Is it because Php was done thinking in web and ruby not?
I know some good code and tweaks on mem can help but cannot beat those 2 languages in speed(18.6).

php was created for one task...to help create dynamic html pages.  Ruby was created to be a beautiful language that humans would enjoy.  The speed gap between php and ruby is getting smaller all the time.

If you're concerned about raw speed, learn C# or Java.  They both are a great balance for very fast speed and ease of use.
But don't complain when you're writing tons of boiler plate code.

dereks wrote:

What about multicore/threading capabilities, ruby 1.9 is faster but doesn't have support for that, how come php and python have already a solution for that.

Written much multi-threading php/python code have ya?  Are you seriously struggling with that problem in Ruby?  Ruby will find it's way and solve that problem.  The beauty of open source.

dereks wrote:

Is not about talking bad about ruby and eventually rails, how such a beautiful language that you kill to work with can be badder than the competitors.

I truly did not understand that question.
In my country, "bad" sometimes means "bad a$$"...meaning very cool.  So yeah, Ruby is "badder" than the competitors. 

dereks wrote:

What's more,Ruby is one of the languages with more advanced books available,screencats,video tutorials,awesome community, what can be done...

Have no idea what you mean.  The .NET world has great books, community and screen casts as well.  What can be done? About what?

dereks wrote:

What's the plans for Ruby 2.0 as far performance?

Slow it down.  Ruby 1.9 is too fast.  We like things slow.  That's usually the idea for future coding.  To make things worse.  But I'm going to pretend it's opposite day.  I would imagine Ruby 2.0 will be faster, handle native threads better, etc?

dereks wrote:

I would like to understand some of those topics to sell Ruby and Rails better to my clients, specially against Django,Zend,CakePhp.
Thanks.

Bad idea.  If you know Django, sell Django.  If you know PHP, sell PHP.  Sounds like you are looking for slams against Ruby so that you can protect your PHP job.  I'm all about protecting your future (well, mine and my family actually), but "researching" to trash a language/framework so that you can take some of the hype away from Ruby/Rails and pimp your PHP skills is pretty wasteful.

Pick something and stick with it.  Then, branch out to new things.  You just might learn something.