Topic: Receiving Authentication Error

Hi. A newbie. I installed/upgraded all the proper (at least that I know of) apps needed to run ruby on rails on a mac, but keep receiving mysql errors. The default page works fine, but as soon as I try a simple "hello world" controller that I'm testing, I keep getting different errors.

Current one after researching forums and trying to troubleshoot the problem, I'm stuck on a "Status: 500 Internal Server Error
  Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client" I am upgraded to the latest. What gives? And I did assign a password to the root and "sudo gem install mysql -- --with-mysql-dir=/usr/local/mysql'

My mac is os x 10.5.7
Ruby 1.8.7
Rails 2.3.3
Gem 1.3.5
MySQL 5.1.37

Any thoughts? Appreciated.

Re: Receiving Authentication Error

Take a look ate log/development.log.
have you configured database.yml with your root password ?

MitkOK wrote:

Take a look ate log/development.log.
have you configured database.yml with your root password ?

Yes. The passwords are updated. Here's a copy of the database.yml:

# SQLite version 3.x
#   gem install sqlite3-ruby (not necessary on OS X Leopard)
development:
  adapter: mysql
  database: my_ror_development
  username: root
  password: my_password
  host: localhost

# Warning: The database defined as "test" will be erased and
# re-generated from your development database when you run "rake".
# Do not set this db to the same as development or production.
test:
  database: my_ror_test

production:
  database: my_ror_production

By the way, I also had installed FastCGI and Lighttpd, but for some reason, WEBrick fires up and does not forwards it to Lighttpd like it supposed to.

Here's the complete error:

/!\ FAILSAFE /!\  Tue Aug 04 08:10:08 -0700 2009
  Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/mysql.rb:453:in `read'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/mysql.rb:130:in `real_connect'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.3/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:576:in `connect'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.3/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:204:in `initialize'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.3/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:76:in `new'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.3/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:76:in `mysql_connection'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.3/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:223:in `send'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.3/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:223:in `new_connection'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.3/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:245:in `checkout_new_connection'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.3/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:188:in `checkout'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.3/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:184:in `loop'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.3/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:184:in `checkout'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/monitor.rb:242:in `synchronize'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.3/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:183:in `checkout'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.3/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:98:in `connection'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.3/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:326:in `retrieve_connection'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.3/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:123:in `retrieve_connection'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.3/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:115:in `connection'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.3/lib/active_record/query_cache.rb:9:in `cache'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.3/lib/active_record/query_cache.rb:28:in `call'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.3/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:361:in `call'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rack-1.0.0/lib/rack/head.rb:9:in `call'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rack-1.0.0/lib/rack/methodoverride.rb:24:in `call'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.3.3/lib/action_controller/params_parser.rb:15:in `call'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.3.3/lib/action_controller/session/cookie_store.rb:93:in `call'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.3.3/lib/action_controller/reloader.rb:29:in `call'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.3.3/lib/action_controller/failsafe.rb:26:in `call'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rack-1.0.0/lib/rack/lock.rb:11:in `call'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rack-1.0.0/lib/rack/lock.rb:11:in `synchronize'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rack-1.0.0/lib/rack/lock.rb:11:in `call'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.3.3/lib/action_controller/dispatcher.rb:106:in `call'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.3.3/lib/rails/rack/static.rb:31:in `call'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rack-1.0.0/lib/rack/urlmap.rb:46:in `call'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rack-1.0.0/lib/rack/urlmap.rb:40:in `each'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rack-1.0.0/lib/rack/urlmap.rb:40:in `call'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.3.3/lib/rails/rack/log_tailer.rb:17:in `call'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rack-1.0.0/lib/rack/content_length.rb:13:in `call'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rack-1.0.0/lib/rack/handler/webrick.rb:46:in `service'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/httpserver.rb:104:in `service'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/httpserver.rb:65:in `run'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:173:in `start_thread'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:162:in `start'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:162:in `start_thread'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:95:in `start'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:92:in `each'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:92:in `start'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:23:in `start'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:82:in `start'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rack-1.0.0/lib/rack/handler/webrick.rb:13:in `run'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.3.3/lib/commands/server.rb:111
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in `gem_original_require'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in `require'
    script/server:3

Version of mysql gem? (gem list | grep mysql)

Rails connect mysql you can use this way to solute the problem. http://www.aiice.com/1133.html