Topic: What do you listen to while programming?

I love to listen to music while I am writing code. Not loudly...just softly in the background; I find that it is very inspiring for me. So, does anyone else here enjoy listening to music while hacking?

Some of my personal favorites are:

Andy McKee
Bicentennial Man Soundtrack

What are yours?

Boo.

Re: What do you listen to while programming?

Yeah, but I'm definitely in the "loud, upbeat" camp more so than "soft, soothing." I have a playlist that's just for coding (and I need to add to it - I code a LOT and am getting sick of the same songs - heh). Playlist includes:

* Miranda Lambert
* Sugarland
* Eminem
* ZZ Top
* Kelly Clarkson

among others. smile

I rarely listen to music as it breaks my concentration.

I hate it being dead quiet so I will usually have the TV on low in the background when the kids are out.  It is behind me so I don't get distracted by the screen.

When programming I tend to be too busy listening to the little voices in my head ;-).  When deap in to it, the idears usually come thick and fast but I have to be undisturbed and and in to the project I am working on (ie. enjoying the challenge).

If I do rarely listen to music it will tend to be wild and varied (and of course deeply uncall as I am far too old according to my oldest son);

Rise against & Linkin Park at the harder end.  James Blunt and Madonna amongst others for the pop level and Supertramp, Daft Punk if I am in a more mellow mood.

RB

Mostly just instrumental stuff. Anything with lyrics is too distracting.

well, i am a big fan of the Groove Salad station at SomaFM.com!!!!  hip, ambient grooves help keep me in "flow" and helps to block out things that are programming distractions for me.  i love it, it's free, has great music, is on 24-7.  i've been listening to it for almost 8 years and the owner is a former software developer.  great station!!!!

I could like Groove Salad, going to check out some of the stations there.  I listen to lots, depends on my mood.  If I'm really hammering away at the keyboard, some upbeat techno type stuff is nice.  When I'm in problem solving mode, instrumentals are the way to go, and Groove Salad sounds pretty good.

slowturtle wrote:

well, i am a big fan of the Groove Salad station at SomaFM.com!!!!

I'm also a big fan of Groove Salad while coding - discovered it five years ago while working my first software development job.  I also like KCRW's music channel, although some of the shows can get a little too eclectic.

Alas, my current employer has blocked access to streaming music, so I load an iPod Shuffle with a random selection from my music library and use a pair of Sennheiser noise-canceling headphones to block out my co-workers' discussions, personal phone calls, and food-chewing.

I must be the blacksheep then. I love playing techno or some thrash metal to get my heart pumping, and just coding like a tweeker or something... LOL

I'm very musically diverse though, so I usually just play a random mix; metal, techno, country, rap, classical, oldies, jazz, you name it. It keeps me focused on the coding.

When I tend to get frustrated though after not being able to figure something out after about smacking my head on my keyboard, I'll tend to zero in on the oldies though to calm my nerves...

Am I weird? Maybe. But who the hell cares right?! tongue

I may be crazy, but I listen to podcasts while I'm coding. I find it soothing to let someone talking about something interesting play while I put things together. The design work is the part where I don't like distractions. The rest is more or less run of the mill stuff.

Currently listening to HIStory. RIP man :-(

Pop, Rock, Punk etc. I can't code in silent. There always must be some music.

I've recently gotten into post-rock...it's pretty cool, it ranges from normal rock songs without lyrics to much more ambient and inspired tunes..

I recommend God is an Astronaut, Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai, and all the others that pop up when you search last.fm...

drum and base, classical or piano music.
Music without lyrics is the best for coding because its calming you down and you dont mind about what they sing!

Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him.

I listen rock, punk...
Nirvana, RHCP...

I'm with jmbrink26 - I've got a pandora station set up with all the hard rock I know of.  It makes me feel some sort of "cool" lol.