Topic: Should I watch all the rails casts?

Ive seen a couple, but as a somewhat newbie/getting out of the newbie stage, I'm wondering if its worthwhile checking them out, even the older ones that say use rhtml files. Thanks for your input.

Re: Should I watch all the rails casts?

I watched them all (or just about all) and I would say it helped a little. One thing to watch for is information overload. There's a lot of information across all the cast's and its a lot to remember.

It may make sense to read the titles and pick out the ones that sound like they relate to what you're working on. Also, if you watch an old one, keep in mind that it may not be valid anymore or there may be a better way of doing it now. You can however pick up theory or ideas from the older ones that still applies today.

Chris

I would say that you should watch the ones that relate to what you're working on when it makes sense to do so.  Railscasts are an amazing resource (I'm a huge fan of Ryan's), but some of the info in them might just get lost in your head or scramble up what matters if you watch Railscasts that don't relate to what you're working on just for the sake of watching them. 

It would be kind of like reading every post on this forum -- yes there is a ton of great info in older posts, but search for it when you need it, don't just read every old post. wink

On the other hand, I think it does make sense to subscribe to the Railscast RSS feed and watch new ones as they come out (provided they're on a topic that interests you or relate to what you're working on).

Josh Catone helps run this place
Rails Forum - Rails Jobs

Josh wrote:

I would say that you should watch the ones that relate to what you're working on when it makes sense to do so.  Railscasts are an amazing resource (I'm a huge fan of Ryan's), but some of the info in them might just get lost in your head or scramble up what matters if you watch Railscasts that don't relate to what you're working on just for the sake of watching them. 

It would be kind of like reading every post on this forum -- yes there is a ton of great info in older posts, but search for it when you need it, don't just read every old post. wink

On the other hand, I think it does make sense to subscribe to the Railscast RSS feed and watch new ones as they come out (provided they're on a topic that interests you or relate to what you're working on).

That makes sense, I think I shall do that.