Topic: Forum Upgrades

As you can see, we've made a few changes around here.

We've upgraded to the new version of PUnBB in order to fix some security and performance issues.

Please note that this is a temporary fix and we have some great things planned for the future of Rails Forum. We just need a little more time to implement them, but we wanted to get the spam and performance problems taken care of right away.

We ask for your patience while we work out a few kinks left over from the upgrade (we know the code tag isn't working, we're on it!). If you encounter any problems or errors, please post then here.

Thanks.

Update: The plug-in we were using for code highlighting isn't compatible with this version of PunBB. Until we can get a fix put together, I've added the code tag to the standard BBCode parser so it will still format the code properly, you just won't have the syntax highlighting and line numbers. Sorry about that. smile

Re: Forum Upgrades

Awesome to see. I'm sure we will complain about any problems wink

I never really liked the line numbers anyway, although I guess you can argue that they could make it easier to discuss the code...

Much cleaner look, :-)

What you want and what you need are too often not the same thing!
When your head is hurting from trying to solve a problem, stop standing on it. When you are the right way up you will see the problem differently and you just might find the solution.
(Quote by me 15th July 2009)

+1 on no line numbers for the code tags.
I've just been using the new format and it's much easier without the numbers.
No more copy, paste, delete line numbers just copy, paste much better :-)

Last edited by jamesw (2009-08-14 05:39:54)

When your head is hurting from trying to solve a problem, stop standing on it. When you are the right way up you will see the problem differently and you just might find the solution.

Hey sweet new style, I like, I like. smile

If that's the way everyone feels, we'll just not worry about the line numbers, then. smile Syntax highlighing, yeah or nay? Code snippets in the forum is usually so short that they're probably not needed, anyway.

Glad you're all enjoying the new format. I'm finding the forum to be much faster.

Much faster and easier to read although there could be a better colour contrast on the links.

Don't know what to say about the syntax highlighting as I'm not sure I understand what that is?

Good point about the contrast on the links. At home, I didn't ahve a problem with it. On the laptop, it's a bit harder to see. I'll tweak that tonight when I get home.

Syntax highlighting, like this: http://www.xjtag.com/images/AN1-Screenshot-1.gif

I can't even remember if the old script did it.

Syntax highlighting is useful, especially for Ruby newbies like me. But "no thanks" to the line numbering, please...

Looks good!

I agree that syntax highlighting is useful but the line numbers have, for me at least, proven to be somewhat annoying.

One minor thing to note is that in certain posts ( http://railsforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=28447 ) some of the code has been lost in the upgrade...perhaps there is a way to fix this??

Boo.

I noticed that, too. I'll look into it tonight, thanks. smile

If you are viewing a thread that is missing code you can copy and paste the url into Google and then click the "Cached" button to view the thread with the code in tact. smile

Boo.

Love the new theme! Thanks ~ wink

It's still very painful to insert bbcode in the posts.

Maybe it's my fault to use umlauts, but in german, you have them. Update is nice und look is much better, but my username's screwed up :-/

Odd, the DB tables are UTF-8, not sure why it would screw it up. hmm

Was it like that before the upgrade or did it happen after?

Ya as was stated before lots of code has been "lost" because {code=ruby}blah{/code} now shows "ruby" in the box instead of "blah"... This is fixed by clicking edit and removing the "=ruby".

Last edited by JackVandaL (2009-08-17 11:17:25)

I've fixed the ruby code error. smile It's all working now.

Nice and better design smile