Topic: Best Rails Text editor

Hi,

Could anybody inform me in which is the best rails development text editor on mac os x? I have the choice of using xcode, textmate and aptana studio/radrails.

Thanks
Ollie

Re: Best Rails Text editor

textmate smile

The most used is textmate. My suggestion is that you try all those editors and see which is more productive for you

Last edited by oscardb (2008-08-21 04:00:30)

Textmate is awesome, until your project gets big, then it runs like a dog. Luckily we only have one really big project. Unluckily, we are working on it a lot at the moment.

Best would be to try and see whichever it fits you.
I'm using TextMate but you can also use Aptana/RadRails, NetBeans, (Mac)Vim with rails.vim, Emacs.

cherring wrote:

Textmate is awesome, until your project gets big, then it runs like a dog. Luckily we only have one really big project. Unluckily, we are working on it a lot at the moment.

like a dog?why not as a tortoise

cherring wrote:

I found that radrails is kinda slow (definitely improved in 1.5), at least when opened. It also has some crashes and what not. Netbeans I found better, even though I am an eclipse fan. However it did lag and kinda die when i did a migration (migration was fine, was just after doing a scaffolding). So im going to stick with e-text editor for now. Notepad++ would be great if it had a better explorer (where you could open a directory like in e, rather than view the whole file system).

I choose vim,although it's not in your list.

martian wrote:
cherring wrote:

like a dog?why not as a tortoise

I argee
----------------------------------------------
nuoc hoa | nuoc hoa nam| nuoc hoa nu

I have found since then that by excluding some files from being read into memory, and using the  Ack in Project Bundle for project search that any performance downsides are significant enough to displace the pure awesome that is developing in TextMate.

TextMate is great, but its search sucks terribly. I still use it exclusively.

Posted this in some other threads, but primarily been using Gedit now with some plugins.

MacVim with the NerdTree, xml.vim, rails.vim, endwise, and FuzzyFinderTextMate plugins.

I argee
-----------------------------------------------------
nước hoa, nước hoa ô tô, nước hoa xe hơi, nuoc hoa nam, nuoc hoa nu

Last edited by hongket (2012-02-19 01:39:35)

I'm using Sublime Text 2, it's an amazing tool.

Vim I choose you!

I always liked how you can have Vim, MacVim, and Gvim on all platforms. I always liked to master my editors. Some time ago I felt that this was the one to master.

The most used is text mate. My suggestion is that you try all those editors and see which is more productive for you

sublime Text 2. Its superb

I used to use Textmate but went to Sublime.  It's like using a Windows and moving to Mac.

I am using Textmate myself and am thinking about possible alternatives (sounds like I'll have to give Sublime Text 2 a serious try).

I noticed no one mentioned the open-source Textmate 2?
Is it that disappointing altogether? Or is there any hope that it might some day make Textmate a serious contender again?