Topic: Populating select fields with observe_field()

EDIT: Apparently your forum software doesn't escape HTML characters in the subject field...I had "Populating <select> fields with observe_field()" and it showed a select box on the forum index "most recent post" column. By the way, I like your nice in the upper right-hand corner about forum software wink

Hello!

I am having an issue with populating a <select> field based on the data from another <select> field. I couldn't really find much documentation on this. In fact, the only relevant examples I had to go by where these two which, ironically, were both posting questions about this very topic. Neither had received any responses.

Basically, I have a few tables, each of which are also models: "school" (belongs_to :city), "state" (has_many :cities), "city" (belongs_to :state, has_many :schools). I want the user to be able to click on a state from the drop-down and have another <select> field generated below with the cities in that state.

Here is the code I have in my view file:

<h2>Find your school</h2>
  <% form_for :school do |f| %>
    <div id="find_school_state">
      <p>First, select the state you live in:</p>
      <%= f.select :state, State.find_all.collect { |s| [ s.name, s.id ] } %>
<%=
observe_field :school_state,
              :url => { :controller => 'user', :action => 'update_cities_for_state' },
              :update => 'find_school_city',
              :with => "'state_id=' +value"
-%>
    </div>
    <div id="find_school_city" style="display: none">
      <p>Second, select the city where you school resides:</p>
      <%= f.select :city, '' %>
    </div>
  <% end -%>

On this note, I was wondering: I searched online, but no one really seems to explain how the "with" attribute of observe_field() works, but they all seem to use it in the same format (including the Rails wiki). Why does it work like that? Why not just ":with => { :state_id => value }" or something?

Anyway, back to the issue. So basically I figured that I needed a "update_cities_for_state" action and RJS file. In the user controller I added this method:

def update_cities_for_state
    unless request.xhr?
      redirect_to :controller => 'page'
    else
      @state = State.find(params[:state_id]) # state_id from <select> field
    end
  end

So now we have a "state" instance variable. Because the state model has_many :cities, I should be able to simply loop through the @state.cities attribute and pass that into my second <select> field, right? In the update_cities_for_state.rjs file I put:
page.select('find_school_city').show

@cities = options_from_collection_for_select(@state.cities, 'id', 'name')

page.replace_html 'school_city', @cities

I am not even sure if I can use replace_html in that case, but that is what this person did.

I would really appreciate some assistance. Thank you!

Last edited by technel (2006-06-17 00:49:27)

Re: Populating select fields with observe_field()

Did you ever get a response on this ??

Yes, see:

http://www.railsweenie.com/forums/1/topics/335

Hi technel could you please paste the solution for me...
The link given here is not opening...

I am having a related issue, in that I can populate a select box with an observe_field and that works fine.  My issue is in editing/updating the record after it's created.  I can't seem to get the observe_field to populate using the params in the edit method.  Here's what I have so far:

CONTROLLER METHOD:
  <i>
def getClassroom
    @classroom = Classroom.find(:all, :conditions => ["facility_id = ?", params[:facility_id]]).collect {|cr| [cr.room_number, cr.id]}
    render :partial => "classroom"
  end
</i>

CREATE VIEW:
<i>
<div id="facility">
<label>Facility: </label>
<%= select( "classroom", "facility_id", Facility.find( :all, :order => "name" ).collect { |f| [ f.name, f.id ] }, { :include_blank => true } ) %>
<%= observe_field( :classroom_facility_id, :on => :selected, :update => :classroom, :with => 'facility_id', :frequency => 0.5, :url => { :action => :getClassroom } ) %>
</div>
</i>

Now, I need to be able to edit/update:

CONTROLLER METHOD:
<i>
def edit_schedule
@schedule = Schedule.find(params[:id])
@classroom = Classroom.find(:all, :conditions => ["facility_id = ?", params[:facility_id]]).collect {|cr| [cr.room_number, cr.id]}
end

EDIT VIEW:
<i>
<div id="facility">
<label>Facility: </label>
<%= select(":schedule", "facility_id", Facility.find( :all, :order => "name" ).collect { |f| [ f.name, f.id ] } ) %>
<%= observe_field( :classroom_facility_id, :on => :selected, :update => :classroom, :with => 'facility_id', :frequency => 0.5, :url => { :action => :getClassroom } ) %>
</div>
</i>

But the observe_field is not passed to the edit view.  I know I'm missing something stupid.  Thanks in advance for your help!