Topic: Can NetBeans do Open Remote Folder (FTP) like e-texteditor does?

Hello,
I gave NetBeans a try, but now I got into a bit of trouble configuring my projects. Basically I'm using a development server, with Phusion Passenger.  All the files, dbs, etc are there. The projects  have  RailsEnv development set in httpd.conf.

I used to edit with UltraEdit, and basically each file had a local copy, and when I changed and saved one, it was automatically uploaded trough FTP. Now the thing is, I don't know how to make this happen with NetBeans.

If it's not possible (but I hope it is), then would you kindly suggest some other tool that can do the before mentioned job?

Long story short: I have this habit of developing directly on the dev. server, while NetBeans seems to like local development by default.

Thanks a lot for the reply.

Edit: Basically what I want is to reproduce the Open Remote Folder (FTP)... functionality from e-texteditor.

Last edited by WSzP (2009-11-07 10:55:59)

███   There is a wild mix of cats, SEO and RoR called WSzP.   ███

Re: Can NetBeans do Open Remote Folder (FTP) like e-texteditor does?

I don't think NetBeans can do that. What OS are you using?

I'd strongly recommend you switch to developing locally and then pushing your changes to the remote server. The best tool for that is a versioning system like Git. Develop locally, push your changes to the repository, and then "pull" in the changes to your remote server.

Re: Can NetBeans do Open Remote Folder (FTP) like e-texteditor does?

insane-dreamer wrote:

I don't think NetBeans can do that. What OS are you using?

Thank you. I'm using Windows and e-texteditor for development and putty for SSH. The server is CentOS, with Phusion Passenger for deployment and MySQL for db. 

insane-dreamer wrote:

I'd strongly recommend you switch to developing locally and then pushing your changes to the remote server. The best tool for that is a versioning system like Git. Develop locally, push your changes to the repository, and then "pull" in the changes to your remote server.

I was experimenting with that, but developing online seems a lot faster to me.
Do you think http://git-scm.com/ is a good idea even for small (with emphasis on cheap and tomorrow-will-be-late) projects?

███   There is a wild mix of cats, SEO and RoR called WSzP.   ███