Topic: Can you tell is a site is using mongrel or fastcgi???

Hello,

I have been asked by a client to verify that his server uses mongrel (actually mongrel_cluster) however I do not have any idea if this is possible to check without having ssh access. Is there a tell that will let you know this sort of thing?  My client has lost trust in his developer/host and is concerned that he is being promised one thing and being delivered another.

I told him that if he does not trust his developer/host that he should move on but he seems to be tied to this guy for now after having spent a wad of cash.

Thanks

Re: Can you tell is a site is using mongrel or fastcgi???

You can find out a lot from the Firefox plugin 'live http headers'.  I just went and checked doodlekit.com (which I know happens to run on a sweet Mongrel-powered RailsMachine account) and this was the header:

HTTP/1.x 200 OK
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 17:31:27 GMT
Server: Mongrel 0.3.13.4
Cache-Control: no-cache
Content-Type: text/html
Set-Cookie: _session_id=743eb353c5abedd1e0dda9bb4aa05af3; path=/
Vary: Accept-Encoding
Content-Encoding: gzip
Content-Length: 2748
Keep-Alive: timeout=5, max=99
Connection: Keep-Alive

I also noticed that Apache is used on RailsMachine to serve static files (images, javascripts) because it's faster - but Mongrel serves all the rhtml.

Here's my blog running on Dreamhost with Apache+FastCGI:

HTTP/1.x 304 Not Modified
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 17:35:20 GMT
Server: Apache/2.0.54 (Unix) PHP/4.4.4 mod_ssl/2.0.54 OpenSSL/0.9.7e mod_fastcgi/2.4.2 DAV/2 SVN/1.3.2
Connection: Keep-Alive
Keep-Alive: timeout=15, max=100
Etag: "3aa3420-fcb9-37b7f880"
X-Pad: avoid browser bug

Wow, thanks. That will do the trick.

This forum is great, I have had 2 questions and both were answered successfully in no time. I cant wait until I can answer someones questions and participate more.

Thanks again :-)

I was unable to see if he is using mongrel, but he IS using nginx so I assume that there is a cluster of mongrels behind that (why else would he be using nginx).  Ok, this guy seems to be for real.

Again thanks for the great tip.