Re: rorBB - the Ruby on Rails Bulletin Board

I seem to be locked out of assebla, and can't find the project anymore, whats going on with this?

Sadly, I don't think there's been any activity on it for over a week.

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

That's unfortunate. hmm

The FRoRum project seems to be active--perhaps offer your services there?

I'm all for starting a community project here to help create a RoR-based forum, too, if that interests people.

I'm not much of a programmer, but I can help with organization. smile

Josh Catone helps run this place
Rails Forum - Rails Jobs

rorbb svn wrote:

Revision 3: /

branches/
tags/
trunk/

sad

vinnie - rails forum admin

A forum engine that could integrate into a larger CMS solution and was easily extensible would be awesome.

It would free those of us who want to do a new type of forum-y thing up from the drudgery, and it would give those who need a quick and easy solution exactly that.

Count me in!

I would love to render some help. Where to sign up? smile

What happened with this? Has it just fizzled out??

I cam back from holiday and my login for basecamp doesn't work anymore.. Has the whole project been sacked or just me???

idlefingers wrote:

Has the whole project been sacked or just me???

The project grew so big so fast that it kinda choked itself to death.  After no activity for a few weeks there was a decision to try it a new way.  So the project is just four folks right now and we're keeping things quiet until we actually have something to show.

Thanks for offering your help idlefingers - I'm sure it'll be needed in a while.  For now we're going to try to at least get the thing started and off the ground.  Thanks for your patience!

Thanks for the update.  I was involved in Railfrog once so I know how too many cooks can spoil the broth.  Please give us an update from time to time so people aren't tempted to duplicate what you're doing.

Hey all, new to rails so not much help at the moment.

Just wanted to add my 2c in to the developers.

1. Keep in mind if it goes big third party developers and designers will want to dial into the product. One thing you'll note about the large forum offerings is the wealth of third party sites with modules/components and skins/themes/styles.

Most of the larger forum companies don't back their third party developers very well, ergo you have problems as a product user locating some sites with goodies.

2. Any forum product has a lot of kids who will buy the product, but wont actually use it. They tend to be a huge pain in the butt to the rest of us who are serious about things.

3. Documentation, both technical and end user. One of the things that irritates the hell out of me is forum products that don't publish user calls etc.

4. A good componentary system for third party add ons.

5. Never, ever, say there will always be a free option. If it starts eating into people's time, l would rather pay for the product and keep it going than see it disappear.

I have extensive expierance with Invision, vBulletin, and phpBB, but would certainly dial into a good rails option. Don't worry about fully fetched, save stuff for future releases, and let third party coders add the cool stuff.

I would certainly be interested in making mods etc for a rails product in due course, and can guarantee one of the premier invision skinning shops would be interested in developing for the product.

Good luck with it, as stated have only really started looking at rails this week for a hefty project, but am certainly tuning into the technology in a big way. One of those ex php coders wink

Oh oh oh ... could make the smilies for the product if interested smile

www.movieheretic.com - Reviews, Box Office, Chat from downunder. Now with added RoR goodness, beginner stuff.

www.skinbydragonfly.com - Invision skins, graphics, i-Tab revolution.

Is it now safe to assume that rorBB has died?

Or is it just in a persistent vegetative state?

Allen

allen wrote:

Is it now safe to assume that rorBB has died?

Or is it just in a persistent vegetative state?

Allen

It's still going, but it's going to be a little while before there's a public release.

vinnie - rails forum admin

I agree vBulletin is the best for rorBB.