Topic: Rails requires RubyGems >= 1.3.1 to run my application

My application is running with Rails 2.0.2
It works fine on my machine.
There is Rails 2.0.2 installed (and Rails 1.2.3 too) but when I try to deploy it on this server, when I do
ruby script/server -e production -p 3000

I have this error:
Rails requires RubyGems >= 1.3.1 (you have 0.9.4). Please `gem update --system` and try again."

The admin of the server is telling me that if he updates RubyGems, then people using Rails 1.2.3 on the same server will have some problems.

But I wonder why the version of RubyGem matters? Is RubyGem not supposed to be only a package manager? Why is the version involved when I run an application? And how updating Rubygem would break Rails 1.2.3?

Thanks

Re: Rails requires RubyGems >= 1.3.1 to run my application

The only thing I can think of is that the rails version expects an older one. However, it would probably be a good idea to run a second server or something to have the different rails versions, that way you dont have to worry about such errors occuring.

Re: Rails requires RubyGems >= 1.3.1 to run my application

yeah, for sure 2 different server for the 2 different versions of Rails would be the best, but I'm not the admin of it... hmm

So basically no-one knows why I have this error message? Why the version of RubyGems is important to run an application?