Re: Introduce yourself!

Name: Dan Reedy
Occupation: I run the IT aspect of a large department for a state university
What brought you to Rails Forum? Saw the $200 starbucks donation and thought "now that is a group of people I'd like to hang around with."
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? Lots of in-shop applications from help desk to inventory management. I use it on side projects as well, such as a church membership system and various team planning and scheduling software. I use it here and there you could say.

Most code examples are usually pulled out of the air and not tested. Use at your own risk!

Reedy wrote:

Saw the $200 starbucks donation and thought "now that is a group of people I'd like to hang around with."

Caffeine addicts? yikes

vinnie - rails forum admin

Name: Chris
What brought you to Rails Forum? Link in a message on the rails mailing list
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? Like... everyday... but, I'm totally controlling it, I can stop at any time you know... where'd I leave that pickaxe...?
- but seriously -
Being my own boss means I get to choose which technologies I use, and having beaten myself to death with nasty old PHP for a few years now I'm happily skipping over to hop on board the rails train. Hoping to move all my development work to Rails in the coming year.

I think one of the biggest joys about working with Rails is I don't have to write any SQL anymore! Database abstraction and migrations rock my world!

Name: Anand Lal
What brought you to Rails Forum? Search for some good place, to ask my queries.
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? New to it, asked by my organisation to evaluate it.
So trying to do a lot things. I have a lot of Hows, Is it? big_smile
Presently working in JAVA,Struts,JSP.

Anand Lal
Developer,
Neev Technologies,
Bangalore, India.
anand@neevtech.com

vin wrote:
Reedy wrote:

Saw the $200 starbucks donation and thought "now that is a group of people I'd like to hang around with."

Caffeine addicts? yikes

Exactly smile I rarely trust a programmer who doesn't have some sort of caffeine addiction.

Most code examples are usually pulled out of the air and not tested. Use at your own risk!

Reedy wrote:

Exactly smile I rarely trust a programmer who doesn't have some sort of caffeine addiction.

Living in the Midwest, I have to settle for Meth addicts.

thabenksta wrote:
Reedy wrote:

South Florida has a slightly different meaning for "on rails"
http://vinniegarcia.com/misc/lines.jpeg

thabenksta wrote:
Reedy wrote:

I hear you...Southern Illinois is known for that as well.

Last edited by Reedy (2006-06-21 13:35:44)

vin wrote:

South Florida has a slightly different meaning for "on rails"
http://vinniegarcia.com/misc/lines.jpeg

By the way vin, I love the "Half Baked" reference in your title.  Brilliant.

Name: Ben Partch
What brought you to Rails Forum? I found many links in sigs and just could not resist joining any longer!
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails?Don't even know what it is, just thought I would join cause I saw the Flash and XHTML/CSS forums, plus you never know maybe one day I will learn Rails, Ruby and whatever else is involved.

Last edited by Johnny Gulag (2006-06-26 18:01:13)

Name: Reginald Ellis
What brought you to Rails Forum? A search for all things Rails
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? Currently building my business around Rails, only in the foundation stage with a partner in New York. Also building 3 clients sites under freelance alias in Rails.
Thing I want to do most in rails: Replace "Myspace" with a better looking, better functioning Rails coded base.

Name: Adam Perfect (yes, really)
Background: 6 years of developing PHP apps/websites, with a Computer Science/Software Engineering Degree in the middle somewhere.
What brought you to Rails Forum? Link in Vinnie's signature on SitePoint
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? Still getting into it but currently working on a big content management system and forum in my spare time as well as introducing it to my day job with a smaller site for a client.

Name: Allen Brown
Age: 45 (yes, I know, old enough to be your grandfather!)
Background: C++ Programmer before the web, intranet builder in the 1990s, web consultant past ten years, developed the GCP methodology.
What brought you to Rails Forum? Googling for a neat way to duplicate a record

How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? I wrote an accounting app for charities last year (www.contributionmanager.co.uk) that got stalled when a potential partner pulled out.  It's being used by a couple of charities so I guess that means it's live but I really need to get back to sorting out the last few issues.  Getting registration to work would be a start!  For client work, I still specify PHP but that's really because Rails programmers are still rare and expensive.  And they'd be wasted on the simple sites that I'm usually churning out.  I have a plan to create a new system later this year for the HR business and that would almost certainly be on Rails.

Last edited by allen (2007-06-11 12:32:09)

allen wrote:

(yes, I know, old enough to be your grandfather!)

Nah, just a year younger than my parents wink

Good to have you all on board big_smile

Name: Jacob Kabel
What brought you to Rails Forum? A quick search for "Rails forum"
Background: Mostly a hardware and infrastructure person.  I have a reasonably solid technical background and have worked in IT on and off for the last 4 years or so.
How do you use Ruby/Rails? Mostly as a learning experience.

Last edited by TheMuffinMan (2006-07-06 11:04:33)

Hi all, fairly new to the Forum, eager to help out where I can, been coding in perl for years, worked for people like FT.com and the BBC, an avid follower of test driven development and some XP methods.

Name: Chris Lock
What brought you to Rails Forum? I googled for a rails forum that similar to the phpbuilder community and came up with this, so far Im very happy with the attitude that is happening here smile
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? Im working on something that I would love for you guys to look at at some point but Im a long way off it being usable, I'll tell you more sometime smile  I also have in the works a little project that should (in theory) work with the EVE Online in game browser, if you want to check EVE out drop me a line and I'll chuck you a referer key (30 days free) smile.  Already a player? look me up ingame - Xaviar Rigo

Name: Chris
What brought you to Rails Forum? Found out about it on the mail list
Background: I have been with rails since v0.7(ish), before taht I did some PHP work, but mainly just html/css stuff.  Tried to learn C once, got scared and ran away
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? Web Development for the repair shop I work at and for fun.

Name: Swami Atma

Occupation: I'm a Swami! spiritual teacher in the Indian tradition of yoga. However i come from France originally and spend over 15 years in the US

What brought you to Rails Forum? Looking for info on rails. Some link brought me here and now i visit the board every day.

How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails?
I have a big project i want to get done in Rails.
Here is my story. Please bear with me.

I have built a few websites since 1995, when i created the sivananda.org web site which used to be the first and only good reference on yoga out there.

Since almost two years i decided to redesign the web site of my own ashrom, so I decided to convert it to CSS, which led me to want to convert all static pages it to DB, which led me to be a self taught, PHP programmer which led me to learn OOP for PHP (Sitepoint books) and I never got to actually get going on my big project.

3 months ago i discovered RoR and decided to learn Ruby and Rails and am now working on a little personal Intranet site te get some training.

That's going quite well and i plan to start my big content site project with many cool features within a couple months.
i need all the info i can get and also ...

... since my ashram is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization I thought that may be I could find on this board a good (or a few good) RoR programmer to either help me develop my site on a volunteer basis or act as a tutor/mentor.

Hey, it does not hurt to ask.

thanks for reading this.

May this board grow.

Last edited by allesklar (2006-07-20 14:41:13)

Name: Keeran

Found this forum from a link on a 9Rules site I think.

Have been a web/software dev for years and years, got into RoR last year and haven't looked back.

Am using RoR as part of my company ( www.beanlogic.co.uk ) and for personal projects ( www.keeran.com ). Hoping to learn as much as possible and help others learn on the way.

Nice to meet you all :)

Kee

Hey Guys, 

My name is Amy and I am part of a search firm located in Midtown NY.  I was wondering if you might be able to offer me some help in my search.

We offer full time, full benefit positions in the NYC area for some great companies.  Take a look at the link for more information about all our openings:
http://jobs-sap.icims.com/sap_jobs/jobs … e/jobs.jsp

I am currently working on a Senior Ruby on Rails position open in NYC and I