Topic: Having trouble sending email through my SMTP on SliceHost

I am currently trying to add in the traditional register confirmation email on an app I am building. I am currently developing it on my laptop, and testing it locally. Using postfix as my mail service on my vps (slicehost). When the create action is called for the user, it times out, and here is the error(s) I receive:

Timeout::Error in UsersController#create

execution expired

RAILS_ROOT: /home/aaron/Documents/rails/booklist
Application Trace | Framework Trace | Full Trace

/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/timeout.rb:60:in `open'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/net/smtp.rb:551:in `do_start'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/net/smtp.rb:551:in `do_start'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/net/smtp.rb:525:in `start'
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionmailer-2.3.4/lib/action_mailer/base.rb:682:in `perform_delivery_smtp'
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionmailer-2.3.4/lib/action_mailer/base.rb:523:in `__send__'
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionmailer-2.3.4/lib/action_mailer/base.rb:523:in `deliver!'
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionmailer-2.3.4/lib/action_mailer/base.rb:395:in `method_missing'
/home/aaron/Documents/rails/booklist/app/controllers/users_controller.rb:82:in `create'

Here's my bit of code that states the smtp info:

config.action_mailer.smtp_settings = {
  :address        => 'mail.agmprojects.com',
  :port           => 25,
  :domain         => 'agmprojects.com',
  :authentication => :login,
  :user_name      => 'aaron@agmprojects.com',
  :password       => 'password'
}

In terms of the password being correct or not, I do not recall setting one up with postfix. Is their a default as part of it? (If so, I should seriously change it). Or is it the same as the shell access?

Another thought is how I have my iptables setup. I do allow port 25 to send email out and that, but I wonder if because I am using it externally, that it may cause trouble.

Thoughts?

Re: Having trouble sending email through my SMTP on SliceHost

bump

Re: Having trouble sending email through my SMTP on SliceHost

Hi agm_ultimatex,
  Were you able to fix the above issue ? i am facing the same problem and am not sure how to fix it.
  rails 2.3.2 and ruby 1.8.7 

TIA,
Sunil