Topic: A new map based ad listing made with Ruby on Rails 2.3.4

Hi all,

I just want to show you my new online project ! A map based ad listing website using Ruby on Rails 2.3.4 and mongodb (and mongomapper) for storage !

http://solimap.com

Thank you for your remarks and questions

Re: A new map based ad listing made with Ruby on Rails 2.3.4

Sounds cool, the concept being like craigslist but from a map perspective?

I couldn't get it to load though FF 3.5.3, the content shows then I am redirected and it just sits.
It works in IE but no map, just all white background.

Ooops !

My disqus implementation mess up my first page !
I'll write my own comment system smile

Thnx for the report

Just checked it out. Looks like you got it working now.

Yeah, I love the idea. And your interface looks cool. Great job! big_smile

What did you use for the mapping though to get Google Maps working? Did you hand code the JavaScript, or use a helper plugin like YM4R?

I did hesitate between YM4R and hand coding... finally, I hand coded the Map. It's not complicated, and more powerful I think.

Definitely. I started using YM4R, but then just didn't understand the documentation, yet didn't really understand the Google Maps API either, so I ended up picking up a copy of Beginning Google Maps Applications with Rails I believe it's called.

And that whole book is hand coding for the most part.

Once I get this app I'm working on all wrapped up, I think I'm going to start a fun app that will find pizza joints that are close to you; you just create an account, and it uses your address and will dynamically adjust the zoom level of the map and the starting lat, lng. I don't know, it will be fun.

Been playing with Nokogiri for screen scraping to get locations of Dominos Pizza stores from their website. That's been fun so far... smile

I like the new map ad site. Looks great! It's very intuitive and seems very handy.

I was wondering if any of you Google Map experts might lend a hand. I just started reading Beginning Google Maps with Rails and Ajax, except I can't get the markers to display. I know I'm probably tripping over myself. Any help is greatly appreciated. Here's a link to the post.

http://railsforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=35667