Topic: So what browser do you use?

These posts are always interesting, especially among tech-minded people like Rails developers smile. What browser do you use?

For me it kind of depends on the platform. On my Macbook I use Safari almost exclusively and only open other browsers for debugging (Firefox + extensions), browser testing (FF, Camino, Opera) or when a site is screwed up in Safari.

On Linux and Windows I use Firefox as my main browser. I also make use of more extensions like Greasemonkey and Stylish.

I tend to go for the "best experience" browser on any platform. Safari fits in best with the rest of OS X (naturally since it's made by Apple) and I feel Firefox does the same on XP and Linux (I would have said IE6 does for Windows, but I have IE7 now and it's pretty ugly to me on XP). Time will tell if Vista changes things for me I guess.

So what do you use and why?

vinnie - rails forum admin

Re: So what browser do you use?

Firefox all the way!  First of all I'm a tab browser.  I don't use the back button, I open and close tabs.  When I search google I open the first 5 results in new tabs then look through them.  I cannot live without that.

Secondly the web developer and firebug extensions are indispensable.  If you haven't the web developer extension yet, do yourself a favor....

Also, I'm a horrible speller, so the new spell checker is awesome.  Oh, and I almost forgot about the cool rss features.  My favorite is the one where you can configure it so that when you click on an RSS feed, it takes you to a page that asks if you want to add it to google homepage or reader.  That is very slick and saves time.

I'm warming up to M$ again, and I'm excited about Vista, but I cants lives withouts me Firefox!

Same as you vin.

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

I'm having so much fun with vim, I'm thinking of switching my browser to lynx. wink

At home I work on a Mac and use my buddy Neil's optimized Firefox build for my iMac (if you're running a G4/G5 machine he has those too!). Safari has never been kind to me -- it's okay for a couple of hours but after that it's just sooooo slow and I don't know why. I will open it occasionally but that's just to make sure whatever I'm working on looks alright.

I've used FireFox exclusively for a few years now.  I switch to IE for testing... but I hate every minute of it. wink

(I use XP, by the way.)

Josh Catone helps run this place
Rails Forum - Rails Jobs

Firefox for web dev, and Opera because its the fastest and most flexible browser around smile
Elinks power for textmode

Last edited by Christoph (2007-01-29 14:48:44)

I'm using exclusively Firefox - for mostly the same reasons as thabenksta.

Here on my Ubuntu (I think I don't even own an XP licence) it's the best choice I think. And I extended it with a handful useful productivity addons.

My homepage: http://www.komendera.com/
Working at: http://www.abloom.at/
My blog: soaked and soaped http://soakedandsoaped.com/

gmacgregor wrote:

At home I work on a Mac and use my buddy Neil's optimized Firefox build for my iMac (if you're running a G4/G5 machine he has those too!). Safari has never been kind to me -- it's okay for a couple of hours but after that it's just sooooo slow and I don't know why. I will open it occasionally but that's just to make sure whatever I'm working on looks alright.

I just found the Optimized Builds for OS X last night. I am so happy I found them. I was about to ditch Firefox because it was noticeably slower, then someone mentioned 'BonEcho' - I am so greatful! Finnaly firefox is lightning fast and even has cocoa style smile

http://danielfischer.com - Personal Web-Technology-Blog, Los Angeles.

I quite like shira on the mac@home, don't know why. But work wise, it's XP so firefox, opera and ie in that order, mainly ff for the plugins / feedback.

I did find on vmware a virtual appliance for browser testing, I think it claimed to have most browsers, using wine back to ie 4 or 5 maybe...Really must get to looking at that soon.

Most of what I do is on Windows and I'll FF for daily surfing, most of my development work... love the web developer plug-in and Firebug). I test in IE and Opera.

In Linux, it's FF again. On the rare occasions I'm using a Mac, it's a toss-up between FF and Safari depending on the mood.

Firefox whenever possible.  I even install it on the Macs at apple stores because for some reason i can't browse without it..  once i get my mac i am sure i will adapt to safari though.

IE I use strictly for testing

Opera i'm just starting to use for testing.  it's a nice browser but i can't see leaving firefox.

I develop on an ubuntu laptop, and I use Firefox 2 exclusively. I also have IE6 installed (vie ie4linux) for testing.

On my Mac I use Safari 99% of the time, but I never knew about these optimized builds of Firefox.

At work I have XP and Firefox all the way. I can't stand IE, including 7. Although I do appreciate that 7 is a nice jump in the right direction.

And notice no one has mentioned Mozilla in this thread. Why is it so panned? I haven't used it in years. I guess firefox just completely eclipses it.

tortoise wrote:

And notice no one has mentioned Mozilla in this thread. Why is it so panned? I haven't used it in years. I guess firefox just completely eclipses it.

Most people don't want a browser+mail reader+irc client+kitchen sink.

vinnie - rails forum admin

I'm at my brother's apartment, and I noticed he and his wife both use FireFox on their Macs and they use FireFox.  I asked my brother why FF over Safari, and he said Safari was a lot slower for him.

For whatever that's worth. (My bro and sis-in-law are rather non-technical people.)

Josh Catone helps run this place
Rails Forum - Rails Jobs

Safari is a memory hog. I find when the memory starts running out, Safari starts slowing down. It may try to hold onto its cache too long or something. Perhaps this is what your brother was experiencing.

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

Firefox forever! I have been with FireFox for 3+ years now.

Opera for the last uhh 3 maybe 4 versions. It works well for me and I see no need to switch. There may be something better out there but I'd have to retrain myself away from many years of use.

I use Firefox for development primarily because of the Web Developer extension.

Opera is a great browser. And ever since it went free I've used it here and there. But I just see no compelling reason to use it over Firefox.