Topic: building website in ruby @ html (without rails)

hi. i want to build a website using ruby for scripting and htlml fot the wrapping, css, javascript etc.
i have no problem rails i intend to use it later on but i find it difficult using a framework before i know how to develop with the language. its like learning 2 languages at once and complicates thing. so basically i would like to
use a database like sqlite3, mongrel server/or webrick and ruby of course. i have all things things installed but now i cant work out how to get either of these servers to start without rails. any help?

-soren

Last edited by soren (2010-02-15 08:16:24)

Re: building website in ruby @ html (without rails)

Basically, you don't.. rails is what makes it usable for the web. smile

but werent there other ruby frameworks around before rails?

I thought you wanted to use no framework, but here's a list with other frameworks smile

http://accidentaltechnologist.com/ruby/ … rameworks/

hehe ya. i do wanna use no framework. i just thought if ruby was being used on the web before rails that might have been without a framework. but i guess it was just other frameworks.

thankyou for help.

do you know what is involved in making a language usable for the web without a framework? for example, php developers can build websites without a framework. what exists for them that doesnt  for ruby?