Topic: Am I too old to learn Ruby on Rails?

Am I too old to learn Ruby on Rails ? I am 47 years old. I have been in the computer software business for almost 25 years. I know C and C++ very well. I am familiar with the fundamentals of Java, JavaScript, HTML, XML, and MySQL. I do not consider myself a web guru by any stretch of the imagination. Am I too old to learn Ruby on Rails? Would I be wasting my time trying to learn this? I want honest answers only please.

Re: Am I too old to learn Ruby on Rails?

Yes, you are too old and should never, ever do anything new ever again.

Really though, what a strange question. Of course you're not 'too old'. You will never be too old to learn new things. In fact, you should strive to learn new things right up until the day you get hit by frozen urine falling from a jet passing far overhead. Anyway, you're only 47! Why are you talking like this? It's entirely likely that you will live for another 40 years, or more. Unless you smoke that is, in which case you can cut that expectation in half unless you quit. :0

From a less philosophical slant. If you have a programming background then learning ROR will be an enjoyable synch. All of the difficult things are done for you and you're forced to do things in the correct way. The best approach would be to buy a book and sit down and learn. Don't try and guess things like so many people visiting this forum, if you spend a couple of week's evenings working through a book like agile web development with ror then you'll be set. It should be an enjoyable experience, full of those moments where you laugh to yourself how clever something is or how nice the ruby syntax is.

Good luck!

http://www.pragprog.com/titles/rails3/a … rd-edition

I was 46 when I started learning Rails. I doubt the extra year will slow you down that much smile 4 years later, I'm doing nothing but Rails, and enjoying it.

I am 15 years older than you with a somewhat similar background and I have found Ruby and RoR to be an interesting trip.  It is different but as long as you are willing to do thing the Ruby and RoR way you should find it enjoyable.

i am 63 and if I am too old and dumb then sobeit - I am having fun trying - I just hope someone solves my ajax problem cuz I am rockin.

You will only be too old when you are dead.  ; )

i think if you have a good exp with c++ ruby doesn't be problem for you smile maybe you will be surprised about ruby language syntax smile

A little late to the party ... but every time a question like that occurs to me I find myself really asking

You're never too old to learn a new language.  Ruby is a great general purpose language. If you want to become a web guru it's also a great place to practice that. I'd suggest going for it.

I'm a Phoenix Ruby on Rails developer currently available for freelance work.