Topic: Help Learning Ruby on Rails

Hey everyone,

I just knew about RoR about 2 months ago. I seriously want to learn it as it is very powerful in terms of building web apps and I think it will be so much easier to program with RoR other than PHP and MySQL.
So do I have to learn ruby before getting in rails or it’s not necessary?
Also are there any good resources to learn RoR from scratch?

Thanks
Taha

Last edited by tahah (2009-12-30 09:52:47)

Re: Help Learning Ruby on Rails

It is a good idea to learn a bit of ruby at least, to have a better understanding of the syntax. Also, the more ruby you know, the less work you will be doing. You'll be more familiar with a lot of the built in methods that the language has to offer. For rails it self, guides.rubyonrails.org is a great place to get started. I also have been reading agile web development with rails. It's a pretty good book. You go through development of a simple book store. The chapters following the application development talk about a lot of the functionality that rails have to offer. ActiveRecord, ActiveSupport, ActiveMailer, etc.

Rails however isn't necessarily easy. It's actually tricky to get really good with it. However, it removes a lot of the tedious work, and repetition that you would find yourself doing in PHP.

hoe to add scrollbar rails applications

Another source for learning Rails from scratch is railstutor.org, though it's still in development at the moment.

Well..I can suggest an online training method too...try contacting..Murli..+91-9676732626