Topic: Planned downtime this weekend

Dreamhost has been sucking lately and making this site inaccessible, so I'm moving hosts for Rails Forum. On Saturday around 9AM Eastern time, or whenever I wake up wink, I'll begin the process of moving the files and database over to our new host. Everything should be up and running again in a few hours, or whenever DNS updates. Hopefully this new host will be more stable than the last smile

Feel free to ask any questions in this thread.

vinnie - rails forum admin

Re: Planned downtime this weekend

Just curious, what host are you moving to? Do they support Rails?

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

ryanb wrote:

Just curious, what host are you moving to? Do they support Rails?

Site5 and yes smile

Cool, looks like a good choice. They seem to be a big supporter of rails too. Let us know how it goes. I am, and I'm sure plenty of others, are looking for good, affordable Rails web hosting.

I just started with Dreamhost and the amount of downtime is annoying. Other than that I've been pretty happy with them though.

Heh, I was going to ask as I'm getting slightly miffed at Site5, but if DreamHost isn't much good I'll stick with Site5 for now.

I've been having my sites go down every few days for up to 4/5 hours (usually 1/2). Site5 usually just come back with a 'server has been rebooted' or 'server was under heavy load' reply, no real explanation or offer to improve the situation. Hope you have better experience with them.

Hmm, Kelli and I have had some sites on Site5 for awhile now (about a year, maybe), and not had any major problems.  Just one issue a couple of months ago where all our databases disappeared--but they fixed it fairly quickly and restored the DBs from their backups--no loss of data.

I also have an account at ASmallOrange.com -- which is another cheap-ish Rails host that I am really happy with.  Though I have never used them for Rails. wink

Josh Catone helps run this place
Rails Forum - Rails Jobs

I think I've just managed to get stuck on a dodgy server - it's about the only one not listed on Site5's uptime page.

adamp wrote:

I've been having my sites go down every few days for up to 4/5 hours (usually 1/2).

Wow, that's really bad. You should complain to them. Are you getting credited according to this page? If it's down for a total of 36 hours during a month looks like you get your money back.

PS: will one of the rorbb guys please email me. I'm going to have to move the SVN repository as well.

I've not had any major issues with Site5, except that their tech support isn't nearly as quick as it once was. As Bleys said, t here was a time a while back when I experienced some donwtime/lost db servers, but it was all sorted out after a few hours and that's really the only issue I've had in the year and a half I've been with them.

Today I'm currently up to 7.5 hours of downtime (that I know of from the time I got into the office this morning). Still waiting for Site5 to reply/fix the problem but I've asked them to provide a longer-term solution to me once they've fixed the immediate issue.

It sounds like most people are happy with them, the server I'm on (semnai.site5.com) has just been getting progressively worse.

That sucks, adamp. Ask to be moved to another server.  It's really odd that yours isn't listed at all on the server monitoring page.

If I can recall correctly which server Kelli's account is on, it has had uptime of 99.8485% since March 2005, and 100% this month.

Rails Forum - Rails Jobs

The transfer appears to be complete. No animals were harmed during the move smile

Yay, it's back!

Yeah, and it shouldn't have taken less time, but I lost Vinnie's email with the DNS info among a bunch of spam this morning, so I was waiting around like a dope for an email he'd already sent.  D'oh!

Rails Forum - Rails Jobs