Topic: How to get Website Templates for a Ruby on Rails

Hi Guys,

I am a ruby programmer and want to have a crack on building a online store website (eg.tshirt, pants, etc) using ruby on rails as it will be a known territory for me rather than learning php, etc.
Anyways, I found heaps of gem like spree which will help me accomplish what I want to do on the programming side.
However, I am not sure how the design aspect works. I am no designer and don't think I would be able to come up with a good designs from scratch.

Do you guys know where I can get good templates for free? In ROR do you simply get any templates in html and can incorporate that into your code?
I found heaps of normal html template websites but I am not sure whether you are meant to use something special for ROR.
Also, what role do CSS Templates have to play in the ROR based website.

Help would really much be appreciated as I am trying to have basic website layout and design setup so that I can build my application around it.

Last edited by goblin5566 (2010-02-09 22:52:33)

Re: How to get Website Templates for a Ruby on Rails

There is nothing about layout and design templating that is right or wrong specifically for RoR. If you can find layout templates that you like (just Google "free website template" and you'll find tons), then you can make them work with RoR.

danabrit wrote:

There is nothing about layout and design templating that is right or wrong specifically for RoR. If you can find layout templates that you like (just Google "free website template" and you'll find tons), then you can make them work with RoR.

But how to make those layout templates work with RoR. (Sorry indeed, I'm a beginner.)

You can easily get the templates for Ruby on Rails on Internet. You can also get the steps for connecting to RoR. This is the simple task you can easily get the solution with searching on Internet. Because i can not explain to you on this.

I know from whence you come!!!  I to am a programmer (recently a RoR programmer), who's fundamentally weak on HTML/CSS compared to programming in general.  I am also a weak designer.  So what I do is contract a generic web designer to build a mockup of what I need.  He delivers to me a nice HTML/CSS site that looks wonderful,  with the basic page/(s) mocked up,  but nothing else.

So how do you turn that site into a RoR site?

No easy/cut and dried approach I fear.  What I did was first concentrate on Rails layouts,  extract the HTML from the delivered design that makes sense for repetition on multiple pages,  and get it off into a layout of some kind.  I'd start by getting:

views/layouts/application.rhtml

Once you've figured that out, you're 70% done with understanding how to convert a generic HTML/CSS design into a RoR app.

Joe got a job, on the day shift, at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen, arrogantly twisting the sterile canvas snout of a fully charged icing anointment utensil.

Thanks all!

the RoR view files i.e xyz.html.erb can be viewed with any HTML elements  or templates. use some simple HTML codes in those files and you'll get exactly the same results as viewing any HTML file.

Here is a good tool to find and delete duplicate files
www.duplicateFilesDeleter.com