Topic: Bogus advertising posts

This forum seems to be plagued with them - are you being hit by a spambot, or are people genuinely registering and pasting these bogus posts into every sub-forum?

Obviously if it's the latter, there isn't much you can do to stop it apart from banning them. If it is the former, is there anything you can do to tighten up on the registration process so it can't be navigated by a robot?

Re: Bogus advertising posts

OK, this is getting out of hand. Every single forum has been spammed this morning, and not all from the same source. If it isn't practical for the moderators to keep a handle on it, how about promoting everyone above a certain status (say 500+ posts and member for over 1 year)  to 'moderator lite' status, allowing them to purge spam posts? And automating the deregistration of anyone who gets 5+ postings removed in this way?

All of the long-term members are responsible posters who care about RoR - they wouldn't be here otherwise. I think you could probably rely on them not to abuse their privileges and start deleting each other for entertainment value.

Having all this cr@p in here just dilutes the value of the forum as a whole, and makes it look a little unprofessional.

Things are pretty bad at the moment but that seems to be because none of the moderators are around much. I for one don't really bother reporting spam any more for the simple reason there's so much of it and I feel like I'm wasting my time.

Please consider specious' suggestion to turn more members into moderators.

I would integrate Defensio or Akismet

Allowing a forum representative of Ruby on Rails to deteriorate to such an extent is a shame as it gives the impression that the community are moving elsewhere.

I appreciate moderators and admin have other commitments so how about Max, robtwf and jamesw? They seem to be the only long term users who are still active, maybe they might volunteer to help keep the place clean. I myself have been member here for a fair while and believe myself to be trustworthy enough.

Maybe a limit of 500 posts is too low. Take 'samenzhen' for example. Only joined yesterday, already they are a First Class member with 139 posts under their belt (basically they have spammed every recent post on every forum overnight).

Moderators, please, do something quickly before the community moves elsewhere.

I'd be happy to be given the ability to delete samenzhen, for example.  I get the emails about updated posts and they are a pain in the ass but they do alert me to somebody embarking on a spamming campaign.

It's NOT a good idea to auto-award moderatorships to people with x numbers of posts, for obvious reasons, but awarding a few more manually wouldn't hurt.

Last edited by Max Williams (2010-05-20 05:36:41)

###########################################
#If i've helped you then please recommend me at Working With Rails:
#http://www.workingwithrails.com/person/ … i-williams

I really do apologize about this, guys.  I've been trying to check in and get rid of spam as often as I can, but clearly it is too much for me to handle along.  I'm sending out a few more moderator invitations now to some of you who have been active in reporting spam (it really does help get rid of what's there!).

We also just installed a sign up CAPTCHA, though I'm not convinced that will help too much.  Fingers crossed.  Hopefully I don't have to resort of something drastic, like banning all of China and Russia (where most of it seems to be originating).

Josh Catone helps run this place
Rails Forum - Rails Jobs

Josh wrote:

I really do apologize about this, guys.  I've been trying to check in and get rid of spam as often as I can, but clearly it is too much for me to handle along.  I'm sending out a few more moderator invitations now to some of you who have been active in reporting spam (it really does help get rid of what's there!).

We also just installed a sign up CAPTCHA, though I'm not convinced that will help too much.  Fingers crossed.  Hopefully I don't have to resort of something drastic, like banning all of China and Russia (where most of it seems to be originating).

Thanks a lot Josh, i just encountered the pun bot, hopefully that will help.  Banning asia would be a shame as they do have some wise coders amongst the spammers smile

###########################################
#If i've helped you then please recommend me at Working With Rails:
#http://www.workingwithrails.com/person/ … i-williams

Thanks Josh, and to James and everyone who helps keep this place clean. Really appreciated. smile