Topic: Rails Cookbook

I just got the Rails Cookbook and have been skimming through it. From what I have seen, it looks like a good compliment to the AWDwR book. I recommend you read AWDwR while learning Rails, then after you get the hang of things, buy the Rails Cookbook. It is part reference and part tips & tricks. A few areas overlap, but I find the "problem/solution" recipe approach makes it easier to look something up than the wordy style of AWDwR.

The recipes are nicely grouped together based on the topic, but as with most cookbooks I'm finding the target audience and flow of the recipes to be inconsistent. The recipes range from beginner to advanced, generic to specific and they are all mixed together. But at least this way everyone will find something useful in it.

Although it makes a nice reference, it is far from complete. It is very hit-and-miss when looking up something specific. The Active Record, Action Controller, and Action View sections of the book feel like they hardly scratch the surface. But this isn't exactly a complaint as it was never intended to be a reference - just a collection of hundreds of useful Rails recipes - and for that it works extremely well.

The Debugging and Performance sections of the book are pure gold. That information is hard to find on the web and it is very useful to have it in one place.

If you have AWDwR and are desperate for another Rails book, get this book. I don't know if it has any information that isn't already online, but it's nice to have all these little nuggets in one place. It is filled with "Oh that's useful, I never knew that" moments. It reminds me of hundreds of useful Rails blog posts all wrapped together in a book.

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

Re: Rails Cookbook

How does it compare to Rails Recipes?

My RoR journey  -- thoughts on learning RoR and lessons learned in applying TDD and agile practices.

Good question. In some ways it is very similar, other ways not so. The Rails Cookbook recipes are shorter and more concise (think of quick tips/tricks). The Rails Recipes are more thorough - a kind of mini tutorial.

The Rails Cookbook is a bit more generic. Flipping through both books, I think you will find more you can use in your current project (whatever that may be) with Rails Cookbook. However, these more generic recipes may be common knowledge to the experienced Rails programmer. It still has its fair share of advanced/specific recipes, but they may not be as well thought out and tutorial-like as the Rails Recipes book. Some might prefer this more-code less-words approach though.

You can get a good idea of both books and the differences between them by taking a look at their table of contents. It's a good way to see if you will find the book useful.

Very interesting... I thought you were referring to the recipes book. Where can we get the cookbook?

I got mine on Amazon

Yeah I ordered mine the other day, hopefully it comes soon.

Also got the "paper" version of awdwr 2.0 (I had only the pdf before).

There is also a new book coming out that I pre-ordered.

I'm thinking the only other book I need is the ajax one, but I feel like I spent too much money already.

http://danielfischer.com - Personal Web-Technology-Blog, Los Angeles.

BTW, this Rails Forum is mentioned in the book! It is in the recipe on Rails community (near the beginning).

Wow, neat! smile

Josh Catone helps run this place
Rails Forum - Rails Jobs

ryanb wrote:

BTW, this Rails Forum is mentioned in the book! It is in the recipe on Rails community (near the beginning).

oh great now i have to give the guy a kickback big_smile

vinnie - rails forum admin