Re: Forum Upgrades

so much better

if you care. the logo background isn't the same as a the header on safari.
http://dump.cooperking.net/rails_logo.png

Last edited by BasicMind (2009-08-19 03:40:15)

--

Kelli wrote:

Odd, the DB tables are UTF-8, not sure why it would screw it up. hmm

Was it like that before the upgrade or did it happen after?

Sorry, missed that part. I dunno, my last post was from 2009-08-17 and since then i haven't visited the forum with loggin in.

I think the older design was easier to read and more user friendly.

OK One big issue for me that is missing now is with large quotes and code blocks.
These used to cut off after a number of lines and we used to be able to expand these but now the whole quote or block shows.
This is quite a nuisance but I don't know if anything can be done?
Example here
http://railsforum.com/viewtopic.php?pid=107083#p107083
There is a particularly large block in one of my posts quoting an error page. It doesn;'t need to be shown in full and indeed it makes the thread difficult to read.

But I have to say that now this update is over a week old I'm loving it. Massive performance improvement. Thanks

James

What you want and what you need are too often not the same thing!
When your head is hurting from trying to solve a problem, stop standing on it. When you are the right way up you will see the problem differently and you just might find the solution.
(Quote by me 15th July 2009)

Honestly I thought I was in the wrong place. Also not to be trollish but does anyone else find it strange that this site is a php site?

"If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse." - Henry Ford

engineerDave wrote:

Honestly I thought I was in the wrong place. Also not to be trollish but does anyone else find it strange that this site is a php site?

Not at all :-)

It's free and AFAIK not run as a business so why waste time and effort reinventing the wheel?
I'm sure the mods have more than enough on their hands without having to maintain an application they have written as well.

When your head is hurting from trying to solve a problem, stop standing on it. When you are the right way up you will see the problem differently and you just might find the solution.

I wonder how the website analytics have been affected by the update?!

jamesw wrote:

OK One big issue for me that is missing now is with large quotes and code blocks.
These used to cut off after a number of lines and we used to be able to expand these but now the whole quote or block shows.

Oh, that's a very good point. Once I've recovered from the rumble a bit, I'll fix that. smile

engineerDave wrote:

Because THAT question has never been asked before. wink

Kelli wrote:
jamesw wrote:

Oh, that's a very good point. Once I've recovered from the rumble a bit, I'll fix that. smile

cool

Are you guys working on a Rails forum application?  Is anybody?  I'm getting ashamed of constantly having to recommend my clients to use phpBB...

Are you guys working on a Rails forum application?  Is anybody?  I'm getting ashamed of constantly having to recommend my clients to use phpBB...

I am! But there are a few rails forum plugins and examples available.
PM me if you are interested.

hey guys

There are problems with code that includes square brackets, eg in the following - try replying and substituting an open-square-bracket for <osq> and close-square-bracket for <csq>

fruits = %w(apple plum pear orange banana)
fruits.each_with_index_do |fruit, i|
  puts "fruit = #{fruit}, i = #{i}, fruits<osq>i<csq> = #{fruits<osq>i<csq>]}"
end

Sorry if you already got told about this in another post smile

Last edited by Max Williams (2009-10-13 10:36:18)

###########################################
#If i've helped you then please recommend me at Working With Rails:
#http://www.workingwithrails.com/person/ … i-williams

That's because i is the bbcode for italic text. I guess I'll have to make it ignore bbcode in code blocks, thought it did that already. Hmmm...

What's the name of this new theme? Is it custom? I LOVE it.

I see some time back that an attempt was made to support syntax highlighting on the code tag. Does it just not work properly, or is it a back-burner task that nobody's got around to? Googling 'PunBB syntax highlighting' gives a couple of options including DocuWiki.

Are there any plans to have another go at it? It might make the posts a little easier to read...

We actually did have syntax highlighting / numbering in an earlier version of the forum, but when we upgraded PunBB our plugin broke.  I'll look into getting it back. smile

Josh Catone helps run this place
Rails Forum - Rails Jobs

Thanks, Josh. Looking back on this thread, the general consensus seems to be that folks like the highlighting but not the numbering smile

Yeah, I think the problem with the numbers, iirc, was that our particular plugin made it hard to copy and past code snippets (the numbers would get copied as well, screwing up the code).

Josh Catone helps run this place
Rails Forum - Rails Jobs

In the last month or two i've seen a lot of posts (always the first post in a thread) that seem to have been truncated, eg which finish suddenly half way through the second sentence or something.  If it was just one or two i'd think it was clubhanded users but i wonder if you've changed the system you use for converting text to html and it's truncating posts on some character, or something like that?  here's some examples (which might have been edited and fixed by the op by the time you see them):

http://railsforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=39644
http://railsforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=39643

I've noticed odd behaviour before around square brackets which is obviously what you wrap escaping code in.  <open square bracket><close square bracket> next to each other has caused problems for me before.  eg

empty_array = []

Last edited by Max Williams (2010-06-22 10:26:15)

###########################################
#If i've helped you then please recommend me at Working With Rails:
#http://www.workingwithrails.com/person/ … i-williams

This truncation has happened to me a couple of times, it's when i've been randomly asked to "say 'hello'" as a security measure when posting...

Rob Anderton
TheWebFellas