Topic: what are the biggest threats to Rails' increasing popularity

I'm new to rails (from a PHP background) but already i'm a massive fan and I am convinced that ROR is a far superior development model or "paradigm" than those currently dominant in the web development community (e.g. PHP, .NET frameworks,  Java Web Apps).

I was wondering what you guys thought about what threats exist to ROR at the moment, and what is possibly preventing Ruby on Rails from becoming the dominant development tool in the Web industry? Why haven't more people in the industry discovered and embraced the obviously immense benefits that ROR brings?

I've been told that ROR isn't considered 'production-ready' for large scale business app's, is there any truth in this?

Re: what are the biggest threats to Rails' increasing popularity

I've heard concerns of how well RoR scales and how fast it is. Both seem pretty valid but I have no hard facts for either.

But heck, just search for "Ruby" on dice.com. There's quite a few jobs out there for Rails development considering how "grassroots" the whole thing is. Definitely a good sign.

marconrails wrote:

I've been told that ROR isn't considered 'production-ready' for large scale business app's, is there any truth in this?

It's production ready for the majority of the sites out there. It is just that the path is still being cut. Pioneers are still discovering the best way to do things with Rails. In the meantime the big boys will gladly sit back and wait before making the expensive switch, while the smaller developers can afford to make this switch. At least that is my (completely uneducated) opinion on the subject.

As for the biggest threat to Rails. IMO it is not the lack of growth, but growth itself. The current community is largely made up of experienced developers who love beautiful code, care about best practices, and enjoy programming. But every day I feel this is becoming less so. As Rails reaches the masses, more people will jump on the bandwagon who only care about getting the job done - no matter how messy the code is. Making the code beautiful is their last concern.

That said, the Rails community is still the best I've known. I certainly hope new adopters will be inspired by the beautiful code and long for that themselves.

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

As Rails reaches the masses, more people will jump on the bandwagon who only care about getting the job done - no matter how messy the code is. Making the code beautiful is their last concern.

One of the reasons I am growing to dislike PHP so much... it's so easy to write bad code and 3/4 of the people who claim to be great at PHP just know the language and not how to program.

It depends on what you mean.  For example, if your talking about enterprise penetration, things like a commercially supported deployment platform are need.  It doesn't matter how awesome Mogrel is(it is awesome), no enterprise will every consider it if they don't have a support contract and someone to sue. 

A lot of people say that Rails isn't suitable for the enterprise, but this is a vague statement.  I don't believe that Rails is the best bet for TRULY enterprise applications where you have a large application sitting in front of a legacy mainframe, message queues, enterprise services, and all that crap.  However the truth of the matter is that most corporations don't write enterprise applications even though they think they do.  In other words, I think that rails could do a lot of good in big corporations, but not for truly enterprise level systems.

The easiest way for this to happen is with JRuby's rails support.  If you could take a rails app and put it in a WAR file and deploy it to a J2EE application server, OH man, look out.  Basically almost every corporation in the US would be Rails Ready.  This is what they're working towards with JRuby, soon we will assimilate them all.

thabenksta wrote:

The easiest way for this to happen is with JRuby's rails support.  If you could take a rails app and put it in a WAR file and deploy it to a J2EE application server, OH man, look out.  Basically almost every corporation in the US would be Rails Ready.  This is what they're working towards with JRuby, soon we will assimilate them all.

This is about the only way I'd ever be able to use Rails at my current job (Windows/SQL Server/Java shop, and Windows is a second-class citizen in the Rails world).

But since I'm not doing so well at changing my job, I'm trying to change my job. smile

vinnie - rails forum admin

There is a pretty good article comparing the popularity of Ruby versus the popularity of PHP, Perl, and Python at: http://www.staffitnow.com/blogs/careers … n_and_ruby