Topic: Design Software

Does anyone have suggestions for design software that understands the rails framework & file structure? I am on Ubuntu but can use Windows XP if I have to. I have used Expression Web for non-rails design and I would like to have something similar so that I can work with a 'design view'.

Last edited by micahalcorn (2010-07-16 05:21:57)

Re: Design Software

What do you mean under 'understands the rails framework. If you mean an IDE that understands RoR files, so you can use Netbeans IDE, Ruby version. Beside this one there is also Aptana Studio that is built on Eclipse platforme, it's just a matter of taste.

As an example, in Expression Web, you either have CSS inline or you attach each CSS file in the header of each html file. Otherwise you cannot see the design in the 'design view'. In that case I would want a program that can read the erb portion of my views, and understands to reference all CSS files that have 'include'd. I don't want to abandon the terminal for the rest of my code, which is why I became frustrated with NetBeans. I will try Aptana. Thanks!

In general you specify a (or many) css file (s) to use by your RoR application in your layout; If you want to see the structure of your HTML page, you could use a Firebug plugin for Firefox.

So long as you have a good code editor, a browser is really the best way to test a view. Firefox and firebug is a great choice rather than using a display or preview button in dreamweaver or aptana. Aptana i believe uses the browser's engine, but its still not the same. Firebug you can alter the css and such on the fly if you want to align things perfectly. Then when you have the right CSS values, just put them in your css file.

Great, thanks. I just started using Firebug, but didn't realize I could test changes. Sounds like that is the way to go.

Yeah I use it at work, pretty essential. I hope the webkit editor will get their one day. You can edit them a bit in the webkit one, but cant add new rules.

I'm been also searching for this one. I didn't realized that it is just this simple. Thanks for this info. I think I will use Firebug then after the web app has been up I'll now use the Ruby On Rails Scheduling

Besides Firebug, you can have fun editing a web page in the browser as if it were a Word document, by enabling the designMode.

document.designMode="on"

I don't really understand what you meant by:understands the rails framework & file structure? If you do as  agm_ultimatex said everything would be so easy for you. You can find some great answers on this forum. For example I was looking for some file extension software manipulation and I found it on this forum. Isn't that cool? Last year I had a problem with a website that I've made and here is were I found the answers.

Last edited by NeilKirchoff (2011-10-31 02:45:13)