Topic: Server configuration / performance

I don't know much about performance and production other than from the reading I've done about it. But since I haven't really done it myself, it's hard for me to really see what the best practices are.

From what I read, it looks like Phusion Passenger plus REE (Ruby Enterprise Edition) on Apache can save a lot of memory and is faster. Like I said, I have only done reading on the matter and don't have much experience in the way of deployment and server configuration, so I could be wrong. Am I right on the assumption the Passenger and REE can make for a better, faster setup (generally speaking, I'm sure there are always 'well it depends')?

My company is setting aside a good portion of Linux server running Apache for me to deploy a rails file parsing app on. The app handles a lot of requests that have to find, read and compare hundreds of files at once so it can be quite taxing on memory and the ruby web server.

I am pretty new to this, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the ruby web servers (i.e. mongrel, thin, passenger) all serve one instance, meaning one request at a time and isn't it possible to have multiple instances of each of these servers, meaning it could handle multiple requests at a time?

If that's the case, I'm wondering how to deploy multiple instances of one of these servers, and what that would take.

Insight on this situation and advice is very much appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by RailsRhino (2010-07-22 11:55:48)

- Ben