Topic: New MacBook for me :)

I just got a new MacBook today. Loving it. I had a Mini and although I liked it a lot, the fact that it was not portable and on the slow side (it's a G4 Mini) means I never really used it. But this MacBook is rocking.

I bought TextMate already smile

Installing ImageMagick/RMagick was a bit of a chore, but it's working well.

I just figured I'm doing a ton of Rails development now, I mine as well get a great tool to make it as enjoyable as possible smile

Re: New MacBook for me :)

That's awesome! Feel free to message me if you have any mac specific questions - or of course post here if it's Rails related. smile

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

tortoise wrote:

I just got a new MacBook today.

I too am thinking about using a Mac as my main computer - but not knowing anything about Mac specs I'm unsure if I should have a laptop or desktop - can you post the specs of your new machine or even a link where you brought it from? OR do you know of any sites that could be of help to me?
(BTW: I already own a desktop + laptop (PC M$ based) - so I'm aware of the usual comments!)

tortoise wrote:

I bought TextMate already smile

I assume TextMate is not free then!!? Where did you purchase it from?
Thanks.

devonps wrote:

I too am thinking about using a Mac as my main computer - but not knowing anything about Mac specs I'm unsure if I should have a laptop or desktop - can you post the specs of your new machine or even a link where you brought it from? OR do you know of any sites that could be of help to me?

I got it from the Apple store in Pittsburgh. It's the middle MacBook, 2ghz dual core processor, 1 Gig of RAM, 80 Gig hard drive.

I would say just about any machine Apple sells today would be adequate for typical rails development. I'd recommend getting at least 1 gig of Ram though, OSX is a hungry OS.

devonps wrote:

I assume TextMate is not free then!!? Where did you purchase it from?
Thanks.

TextMate is fifty bucks. You can buy it from their website, http://www.macromates.com. That is one thing about the Mac, a lot of software is not free.

Last edited by tortoise (2007-02-12 08:58:41)

ryanb wrote:

That's awesome! Feel free to message me if you have any mac specific questions - or of course post here if it's Rails related. smile

I'd love to know how to remove a lot of the stuff it came with: Office Trial, Garageband, etc smile The machine came with 20 gigs already used.

I accidentally installed all these sound files and templates and stuff for Garageband and iLife trying to find the X11 installer.

tortoise wrote:
ryanb wrote:

I'd love to know how to remove a lot of the stuff it came with: Office Trial, Garageband, etc smile The machine came with 20 gigs already used.

I accidentally installed all these sound files and templates and stuff for Garageband and iLife trying to find the X11 installer.

just drag & drop the applications you don't want into the trash :-)

good choice with the macbook ;-)

cheers,
maze

I really wish OSX truly pulled that off, but it didn't quite, especially for GarageBand which is currently taking up a hefty 4 gigs. It dumps files in a lot of places. I'm not that worried about it now, I've still got plenty of free space, but I will eventually look into this.

Most of those app's files are in "/Library/Application Support" folder.You can probably just trash these if you don't plan on using them (GarageBand, iDVD, iMovie, etc.). I would hold off until you start running out of space though.

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

ugh..i envy you. I have the imac G5 which is treating me nicely.
I just can't even begin to tell you how much I would enjoy sitting in a coffee shop, programming, drinking a white chocolate mocha, and eating a muffin by the fire.....someday.

Congrats!

tortoise wrote:
ryanb wrote:

Try a handy utility called AppZapper. It gets rid of all the support files, preferences, etc. that an app puts all over the system. It's not free but it's only like $5 and makes quick work out of uninstalling apps.

Or you can do what I did: buy a 120GB laptop drive and a USB enclosure for the drive that came with the laptop. Now I have 60GB of portable storage and more than enough space for GarageBand, OSes installed in Parallels, my MP3 collection, etc right on my laptop. smile

ldenman wrote:

I just can't even begin to tell you how much I would enjoy sitting in a coffee shop, programming, drinking a white chocolate mocha, and eating a muffin by the fire.....someday.

You know, I really thought I'd be doing more of this once I got a laptop. Of course I don't since most places around here use T-mobile for wifi and I'm not paying $10/month for access when I may not be home. All that's really happened is that I sit on the couch and watch more TV as I code (well, once in a while I code in the backyard) smile.

vinnie - rails forum admin

vin wrote:

You know, I really thought I'd be doing more of this once I got a laptop.

My machine before this was an HP laptop which I still have. I stupidly bought it in October thinking it'd be good enough but I never really liked it, even after I ditched Windows for Ubuntu. I think deep down I knew I should have just gotten a MacBook then.

But anyway, once I had a laptop I was coding all over town. I really love the mobility.

I am in the process of saying farewell to an ailing 5 year old PC.
It has done me well!
Now I have an excuse to go buy a mac, and a macbook is how I'm going.
From what I've heard:
-Buy the lowest RAM and HDD possible, upgrade them yourself later (it costs less and can be better quality) but keep the original hardware for apple's support
-Check out the refurbs on the apple site, there are some cheaper systems there

I'm studying too, which means I can get the student discount smile

dylanfm wrote:

I'm studying too, which means I can get the student discount smile

My friend who came with me to the apple store used to work for WVU. She asked us if either of us were students and he goes "eeeeh, sort of?" and pulls out his old employee ID. She took it for both of us, we both got the discount smile (He got a MacBook too)

Last edited by tortoise (2007-02-17 11:39:07)

Mac4life!

no other way to do dev or photo/media...osx is the way to go

def go with appzapper for removing apps though, ive used a few free removal tools and stuff, appzapper is so with the $10 or whatever it was

http://www.coolmacapps.com has a ton of great tools