Topic: Deployment recommendation

Hi, it's been some upgrades since the last time I deployed rails, and I don't know what's the status on deployment options. I want to deploy a rails 3, ruby 1.9.2 app on a debian 5 virtual server, with low traffic, but I want the deployment to be stable and allow for growth, and also to use as a template for other apps. I know it's a matter of choice but would like to know your opinions on what server, database and the rest to use: apache?, passenger?, lighttpd?, mongrel?, mysql?, posgresql?, sqlite?, moonshine?. I've been testing heroku and while it's easy I've had some problems with rails 3 support and want to manage my own server.
I can manage to setup everything, but would appreciate your recommendations on what software pieces to choose for a "base" server.
Thanks, I appreciate your help.

Last edited by switchman (2010-11-30 07:59:41)

Re: Deployment recommendation

I have had very good luck/experience with linode.com.

Thanks for your comment, but I'm not looking for a vserver provider, I allready have a vserver running. I just want a recommendation on the software configuration.

No problem, I am using  Apache + Passenger (mod_rails) & MySQL. It appears to perform quite well but I have not done any heavy stress testing nor have I had a heavy request load.

It was fairly easy to setup (for someone who has never done it before).

Thanks, I'll try that. I wanted to know if other people had reasons to prefer nginx or something else.