Topic: What are your favorite open source tools and why?

hey people i want to get your perspective on what is your faviorite open source tools please me brief i want to see what open source tools is your faviorite and why?
Pure Cleanse

Last edited by arthurm (2010-12-06 05:57:06)

Re: What are your favorite open source tools and why?

Aside from Ruby, Rails and jQuery? Ink Scape. Great for creating SVG graphics, and exporting to image formats. I also like using Dia for Database design if i need to. Sorry, it's hard for me to list just one smile

I second Ruby, Rails and JQuery, it's like the holy trinity.

Aptana Rad Rails is very good, love the syntax checking.

jQuery UI - I love it,  theme able Rails Apps!  But honestly, I've never re-themed any of my apps,  one day maybe!   Also,  a canned UI may just not be your style, or remember Motif vs. OpenLook?

pdftk is OK, kind of old, doesn't do some stuff it should, (i.e.  can't combine two pdf's with same form field name,  then later fill the combined forms and get both fields filled.  If you combine pdf's manually or some other way,  pdftk will fill them correctly,  but not if pdftk combines them!)

freetds - MS SQLServer access, works great so far!

libxml-ruby - ??? works,  but searching a parsed XML Document had issues?  I don't use XML searches

passenger - Rails deployment straight from Apache, sans mongrel,  supposedly running passenger and Ruby Enterprise Edition from Phusion reduces memory footprint 1/3rd???  I don't know,  but it worked and is convenient.

DeltaCopy - cute little Windows RSYNC tool,  for pushing development site to Unix production box.

cwRsyncServer - RSYNC server for windows, for syncing up Windows dev to Windows production (yes, I have stuff deployed on Windows!)  Works fine, easy setup.

Joe got a job, on the day shift, at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen, arrogantly twisting the sterile canvas snout of a fully charged icing anointment utensil.

BradHodges wrote:

supposedly running passenger and Ruby Enterprise Edition from Phusion reduces memory footprint 1/3rd???

I believe they did a lot of work to Ruby's garbage collector, which is something that is really slow doesn't get rid of as much as it should. That's I think the biggest reason it saves a 3rd.

- Ben

For me the SimpleWorker. It is a Ruby On Rails Scheduling tool that is very helpful for developers. It makes jobs much easier and faster.

Another one is the  Passenger.

Last edited by kersimp (2010-12-29 23:46:25)