Topic: Which book to start?

hi all

I do not know anything about Ruby or ROR. I have two books to start. Which I choose to start.
1- Agile Web Development with Rails
2- Programing ruby 1.9

Please help me . Thanks

Re: Which book to start?

to start - you should learn or have at least some notions of Ruby language because RoR is based on this language. For RoR learning - your first option is very good.

Because, as I do not know anything about Ruby, and so on ROR
So is your answer. First item

thank you for answer

He said for Ruby on Rails (RoR) you should use Agile Web Development with Rails. BUT he also said that to learn RoR, you should learn some plain Ruby first, the second book, Programming Ruby 1.9, will help you learn Ruby.

Like Javix, I believe you should learn some plain Ruby programming before you go into rails. Believe me, you're not short cutting time by just moving on to Ruby on Rails. If you know the basics in Ruby, moving on to rails will be so much easier than trying to just hop into rails.

Pick up the basics with Ruby, once you feel comfortable with the basics of Ruby, and once you can write some small programs, move on to RoR.

- Ben

thank you for answer , very good

try Lynda.com. The site is a simple introduction, intermediate, and advanced video tutorial to enhance both programming ruby, and ruby on rails. One thing is for sure, start with the basics of Ruby before moving into rails. This way you have a better understanding of concepts to be used in larger applications, and be able to decypher what is needed quickly and efficeintly.

First you need to learn basics of ruby before you jump to rails. you can start with pragmatic ruby. why don't you have a look at my website Orangegigs, which is developed in RoR within days.
OrangeGigs is a FREE job posting web based application developed on Ruby on Rails. This has been developed by Silicon Valley based company Andolasoft Inc. The objective of this web application is to invite companies across the globe to post Ruby on Rails based jobs based on their requirements and freelancer developers to respond and initiate the contact and get the job done. This site acts as a catalyst between the freelancer clients and developers. The site is absolutely FREE and extremely simple to post & browse jobs. You just need to spend 2 minutes to register and that’s it, you are ready to post your jobs. www dot orangegigs dot com

Jaydev Das works as an ruby on rail application developer at andolasoft. Many of his projects showcases his contribution  brought into the arena of Ruby on rails development.For more Information please visit http://www.orangegigs.com

quakerStarter wrote:

try Lynda.com. The site is a simple introduction, intermediate, and advanced video tutorial to enhance both programming ruby, and ruby on rails. One thing is for sure, start with the basics of Ruby before moving into rails. This way you have a better understanding of concepts to be used in larger applications, and be able to decypher what is needed quickly and efficeintly.

I use Lynda.com for all kinds of tutorials, have not been disappointed yet.

Resveratrol Dosage

Pick up the basics with Ruby, once you feel comfortable with the basics of Ruby, and once you can write some small programs, move on to RoR.
virginia traffic tickets

Last edited by rebeccaviginia85 (2010-12-17 10:59:58)

I started a book whose name is The seven ages of the Atlantic  and just completed a Voltaire a life. A Voltier a life was interesting book and a Voilter was a great person in his epic and he born in Paris in 1694 as François-Marie Arouet and became a philosopher. He wrote many book and it was an interesting person in his life.

To get started with Ruby, I recommend the book "Learn To Program" by Chris Pine.  I also found it very helpful to learn regular expressions.  I found this blog post on regular expressions very useful: http://geekswithblogs.net/brcraju/articles/235.aspx .  As far as learning rails I picked up an assortment of books, the ones I found the most helpful were "Agile Web Development with Rails" by Dave Thomas & DHH, and "Ruby for Rails" by Dave Thomas.  I am also a regular at http://www.railscasts.com, Which is a collection of rails screen casts by Ryan Bates, which are excellent.

You may read the book "Ruby on Rails Tutorial" by Michael Hartl.It may help you.

-----------------------
rail car repair

Last edited by faithcoleman (2011-01-18 16:47:22)

Take your keyboard, and start coding smile.
It's better to start, focus on points who are blocking you and when you feel comfortable with the language, read a book for users who already knows language / framework and want to improve their skills. That's how I do, I think it's faster.

Regards.

First you should learn about plain Ruby programming before you go into rails. You can read the book "Beginning Ruby" by Peter Cooper. Also there are many video tutorials in Lynda.com.

Last edited by Anne20 (2012-08-17 18:14:13)