Topic: Currencies

Hi,

I am working through the 2nd edition of Agile Web Development, and I have gotten to the part where we can use a built in helper to format the price.  Well I live in the Uk and I want to use my own currency symbol and not the dollar sign.

I believe that I need to install Rails into Vendor folder?

Is there another way of doing this?

Re: Currencies

The method used is called number_to_currency. This takes parameters as you can see in the docs. Like this:

number_to_currency(..., :unit => "£")

There's no need to install Rails in the vendor directory for this.

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

So I can just alter this code:

<span class="price"><%= number_to_currency(product.price) %></span>

Yep, to this:

<span class="price"><%= number_to_currency(product.price, :unit => "&pound;") %></span>

so simple?

Thanks

Out of interest though, is there anyway to modify the helpers, or is that like genetically modifying the make up of Rails?

Each method allows you to specify parameters like this. However, if this is not enough control you can override the method or create a new one that does exactly what you want.

Does this answer your question? If not, can you provide an example of what you are referring to?

Well the book says that you can install Rails into Vendor folder, but mine hasn't, not sure if I should though.

Well, you can, but I don't think you need to. What version of Rails do you have installed? If you want your project to work under a different version then you'll need to "freeze" Rails into the vendor directory.

Ok, so by freezing the gems it actually freezes Rails into Vender?  cos at the moment I only have a plugins folder in there.

I have 1.2.2 of Rails.

Maybe it could be a job for a plugin to turn the installation into a UK version, just thinking out loud.

There's no UK version of Rails from what I'm aware of, so freeze Rails will not solve your problem.

I'm assuming you want the number_to_currency method to default to pounds so you don't need to specify ":unit" every time?

You can create a new helper method to do this. Place this in your ApplicationHelper file:

# in helpers/application_helper.rb
def number_to_pounds(value, options = {})
  options.reverse_merge! :unit => '&pound;'
  number_to_currency(value, options)
end

Now you can call number_to_pounds instead of number_to_currency. You can also override the number_to_currency method itself, but that's a little more difficult.

Thanks, thats great.