Topic: Programming Internship?

I am currently looking for a programming related internship that has to be able to be done remotely, since my area is very lacking in that field.
I will eventually move to a more tech related location.

Any opportunity is appreciated, thanks

Last edited by Wolf Parade (2008-01-23 16:27:56)

Re: Programming Internship?

Where are you located? High school or college level internship? What school?

Also hit the link in my sig. We've considered doing remote work for the right candidate, we've also considered an internship for the right candidate. A combination of the two isn't likely, but it never hurts to get your resume out there!

edit

Last edited by Wolf Parade (2008-06-09 20:23:28)

Basically I'm tired of working unrelated jobs to the IT field and would like something to to put on my future job resumes.

Email me if you want a full r

Trying to bring the topic back...

I just moved to the United States (Missouri) to attend college, and I am looking for a Rails college level internship/entry-level job. Any specific place where I could look at?

Talk to your college's job placement people as well as your departmental advisors.

Also, no one is going to email you asking for a resume. You're going to have to put yourself out there and just ask.

In my experiences these can be very hard to come by. On top of that to land one in the rails field is even more of a long shot. Your best bet would be to apply to the large software firms in your area and then the big national brands (MS, Intel, etc) and then cross your fingers.

If you cannot find an internship then I would recommend focusing on outside projects to add to your resume. These, in my experiences, are more valuable than the internship itself as long as you have SOME work experience in an office setting.

Read my site, which is focused on questions like these for software developers.

I really appreciate the replies... I am thinking about going for the freelancing jobs first so I can show some works done when applying for a job. I also want to meet other developers in my area for networking/socializing, because all developers I know are "virtual".

Last edited by thomazleite (2008-04-15 21:47:13)

thomazleite - Sounds like you're on the right track. Good luck!

Hey, just an FYI, you can probably check out internshipcrossing.com, and see if they have anything that you're looking for.  They were a pretty good resource for me, and I got a good internship out of the deal. Might be worth a look!

-Laura

We are always looking for tech interns. We deal with a good amount of interns, but they are always in our field/political departments. Tech people rarely apply.

http://democracyforamerica.com/jobs

Location would have to be in Burlington Vermont. Housing is sometimes available, though we are already short for this summer.

Wow some good stuff turned up in this thread.

What exactly do you mean by projects?
Making a blog or some kind of web application.

As far as collage, does having a four year degree open up more doors then just a 2?
It might really depend on the company I would expect but I'm not sure what the general view of collage is in the RoR/programing world.

(though this might really depend on the size of the company)

Last edited by Wolf_Parade (2008-06-01 18:58:57)

Wolf_Parade wrote:

Wow some good stuff turned up in this thread.

What exactly do you mean by projects?
Making a blog or some kind of web application.

Yer anything really, whole applications, plugins and open source contribution. Projects are a great way of learning and show that you actually enjoy programming.

Wolf_Parade wrote:

As far as collage, does having a four year degree open up more doors then just a 2?
It might really depend on the company I would expect but I'm not sure what the general view of collage is in the RoR/programing world.

(though this might really depend on the size of the company)

This is dependent on you are and your employer, and many people have different views on this.

Me personally, I believe a degree is not needed. I think that teaching yourself a language/s, playing around with the language, creating projects for yourself, taking an active part in the community, having an active web pressence (twitter, a blog...) etc etc. But I think the main thing is about being passionate about what you do. I would 100% prefer to work with a someone who only has little experience but is really passionate than someone who has some amazing programming-fu but hates his job and really doesn't care.

Heres a post on the 37 Signals blog late last year that provided quite a lot of discussion on the topic

http://www.37signals.com/svn/posts/700- … -important

Red

@reddavis999
Thanks a lot you helped clear up somethings for me

I just came across your question and wanted to add that I have found InternshipCrossing.com to be a great source of programming internships.  They have a really wide variety of opportunities and they get the information directly from the companies that are offering the internships.  I used it a while ago and have encouraged friends to use it as well.  I think it is definitely worth the time to look at it and see for yourself.  Good luck.

We are looking for a Ruby On Rails intern, someone who lives in St. Louis Missouri are at least nearby.

Hey there.

First off I just want to say good luck in finding the internship. I hope by now you have managed to bet something on the back burner.

My standpoint is that I've been anti-internship schemes where all you do is meaningless work and are not challenged.

The problem with finding a programming internship is that from a recruiters point of view it can be quite difficult to test your knowledge and skills, and as it is IT many companies will have a little trust issue when taking on someone new. (That is to say that you don't end up breaking all their systems in the first day)

Anyway once again good luck with the internship hunt and don't give up. The worst thing that you can do is give up and start being anti-internship.