Topic: No/Slow Response From Web Server

Hi,

I am facing a weird situation for my client server. Sometimes user will not able access to my rails application or my rails application response very slow. But this situation is never happen on my own server.

I suspect it is due to network traffic but my client server did not turn on any firewall or any restriction on the server.
Due to I lack of knowledge of networking, so I have no clue how should it identify whether it is network traffic issue.

When I just try to access to my app's login page, the page will keep loading and I can't find any log of app.
But I try to ping to the client server, it seems no problem.

Maybe here it is not the right place for this topic. But I hope someone can give me some clues how should I troubleshoot this.

Appreciate if anyone can help. Thanks a million.

Re: No/Slow Response From Web Server

Maybe you could switch to development mode and check the development logs if you find something unusual compared to your server ?

Re: No/Slow Response From Web Server

iblun wrote:

Maybe you could switch to development mode and check the development logs if you find something unusual compared to your server ?

Sorry for very very late reply. Actually Im still encounter the same problem nw, but i think now I know what's the problem.

Existing Server Architecture (all servers are using RedHat Enterprise with 8GB RAM):
Web Server (lighttpd) --> App Server (5 thin) --> DB (Oracle)

Max. of Concurrent User can handle now: Below 35 users (Targeted to support 200 users)

Problems:
1) Web Server did not perform load balancing correctly
    - When the web server (access via URL) is slow, I tried to access the App server via direct IP with port and the speed is normal.
    - Currently still no solution on this.

2) Coding problem/heavy process
    - I've keep enhancing the code by replacing multiple SQL to single SQL (use joins).

I am having less than a year experience on RoR and never experience such performance issue. So I really stuck and don't know how to solve this problem.

Wishes someone can give me some ideas how to solve this. My company don't mind to outsource this issue as long as can solve this issue.

Thanks.