Topic: WordPress-like admin section that controls global settings?

Has anyone here done something like this? Similar to how WordPress handles its admin area...you can manage posts/content as well as global site settings like the site title, how permalinks are handled, colors, logo, etc.

I don't want to get THAT intense, but I DO want to be able to change the color scheme on the fly, be able to change the site title, be able to add/remove areas that would appear on certain pages (i.e. a Twitter feed, Flickr feed, and so forth...if a link to a Twitter/Flickr account were provided on the Admin screen, then a partial would appear on, say, the blog area of the site that would pull in x number of the last Twitter/Flickr posts), manage content and users and so forth.

I've seen stuff about creating namespaces and adding code to existing controllers to allow the Admin

Re: WordPress-like admin section that controls global settings?

I have done so with a pretty small site. It wasn't a whole lot but it did give me some of that CMS type of functionality that made it real easy for the client and I to interact with the site without using code.

I used a collection of methods to do so, one being Ryan Bates take on static html in rails. I also used WMD for the mark down. As for the back end I just did queries on things that were relevant to each user, be it an admin, or editor.

In my case the client received free estimate requests from users that visited the site. I had them emailed to the client and also stored the request in the DB so that way they could go and manage them or draw reports based on dates etc...

Hmmm okay. Thanks for the reply!

I was avoiding working by searching Google all day for something and I stumbled onto settingslogic (made by the fine folks responsible for authlogic) and I think this is going to be exactly what I need. big_smile

https://github.com/binarylogic/settingslogic

Nice! I will have to add that to my bookmarks!