Topic: Retrieve images from Database

How to retrieve images (stored in BLOB format, seperate image for each user) from the database?

Thanks,
Suhas

Last edited by suhaspnehete (2006-10-26 09:34:06)

Re: Retrieve images from Database

How are the images stored? As BLOB (Binary Large OBject) data, or as a reference to where it would be found on the filesystem?

vinnie - rails forum admin

Well, since I'm thinking of the same thing, I might as well hijack this old post...

I want users to be able to upload pictures (avatars and such).  Is it better to store these in the database or the file system?  I like using the database because it keeps everything together, but I don't know how to serve images from a database, or if that's even wise.

What are other people doing?  What are the pros/cons of the different approaches.

Note: To answer the previous question, I was planning on storing the JPEG data as a BLOB in the database.  Obviously, the other route is to store a file path to the image.

If there is a post/website/blog entry/whatever that answers my questions, please don't hesitate to simply post a link.  I know it can get old fast to answer the same question hundreds of times...

See this sitepoint article for some reasons you may want to store images in the database. Make sure to read the comments too for counter-reasons.

I prefer to store them in the filesystem.

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts