Topic: Practical RoR Tutorials

Hello Friends

Can someone please direct me towards some practical RoR tutorials. Something equivalent to PhpVideoTutorials. Where the "teacher" walks you through the building of the web application from scratch and the videos are aimed at n00bs like me.

I know about railcasts, but all the videos are way above my knowledge.

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thank You.

Last edited by Ciwan (2011-03-23 16:26:18)

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." .... Writer Aldous Huxley (1894 - 1963)

Re: Practical RoR Tutorials

http://railscasts.com/
you'll see links to this and other resources on the rails home page
http://rubyonrails.org/

What you want and what you need are too often not the same thing!
When your head is hurting from trying to solve a problem, stop standing on it. When you are the right way up you will see the problem differently and you just might find the solution.
(Quote by me 15th July 2009)

Hi Ticketholder,

I've explored a number of resources for learning RoR and Michael Hartl's Rails Tutorial is wonderful.  You can find details at:  http://ruby.railstutorial.org/

The updated book is available online for free, you can buy a pdf to download and recently the book was published in complete form.  He also has screencasts which go over the same material in slightly more detail and also provide a glimpse into how an experienced rails developer uses various tools like textmate, arranges his terminal tabs, etc.

In the tutorial Hartl starts with simple apps but incorporates such things as git and deployment to heroku in chapter 1.  You'll also find TDD/BDD (with rspec) covered early on (though can be skipped on first reading if you want) and other popular gems and techniques included too.  Hartl is a great teacher.  Earning a PhD in theoretical physics at Cal Tech, he was awarded a lifetime teaching award and that really shows in his book and screencasts.

I wish I had discovered these resources earlier in my own exploration of Rails.

Good luck!
Ben

I also want to add that, Michael Hartl's LiveLessons DVD is also a great investment to watch and learn Ruby on Rails 3. I paid about 49.99 for both the book and DVD at my local electronic store. Hope that helps.

Ciwan wrote:

Hello Friends

Can someone please direct me towards some practical RoR tutorials. Something equivalent to PhpVideoTutorials. Where the "teacher" walks you through the building of the web application from scratch and the videos are aimed at n00bs like me.

I know about railcasts, but all the videos are way above my knowledge.

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thank You.

I'm looking for the same thing man! So many of the tutorials I come across skip certain steps assuming the person reading the tutorials knows what they're supposed to do but guess what, we don't!

phpvideotutorials has some amazing tutorials and i hope that rails has some that are of similar quality.

Another BIG thumbs up for the mhartle rails tutorial.  I just started programming RoR (actually, RoR is my first programming language) and the tutorials got me up to speed quickly.  I have now taken Michael's basic app and have morphed it into something way bigger.

download this book rails_cookbook by Brian.P.Hogan
thsi is exactly what you need

hi folks,

is there anyone know how to print a webpage by creating a helper or controller or anything that could help me?i try other examples but it is not what i want.. i want only the data given from the database must be printed..can you help me?,