Topic: Railstutorial.org's screencasts or Pragprog.com's 4th Edition AWDR?

Hi,

I want to build a RoR application and am considering both railstutorial.org (free ebook, $85 for videos) and the Agile Web Development with Rails 4th Edition (Beta, ebook, $24, no video).

Which would you recommend to someone who is completely new to Rails?

Thanks!

Re: Railstutorial.org's screencasts or Pragprog.com's 4th Edition AWDR?

Do you have any background in programming? If no, then you might want to start off with a ruby book instead- like Beginning Ruby From Novice to Professional. Otherwise both are great resources. You can't go wrong with AWD and railstutorial.org is good compliment to it. Besides that, you might want to check out www.railscasts.com

Thanks!

I have no experience programming (only a course on programming concepts such as OO in college).

Re Ruby: I'm now reading the pragprog.com "Learn How To Program" eBook to get familiar with Ruby.

The Ruby book you mention seems very detailed - I will buy and read that too if I am not at ease enough working my way through AWD or railstutorial.org

pjc wrote:

Hi,

I want to build a RoR application and am considering both railstutorial.org (free ebook, $85 for videos) and the Agile Web Development with Rails 4th Edition (Beta, ebook, $24, no video).

Which would you recommend to someone who is completely new to Rails?

Thanks!

Hi PJC,

I would recommend the Michael Hartl series of screencasts and his free ebook....I thiink you already reference it in your post.
The screencast are especially informative since he take the time to elaborate on what he covered in his free pdf tutorial.
I am not a programmer and I have learnt a lot from his series.
The most poignant lesson is that I have much more to learn and finding tutorial that go into detail on some of the simple stuff of calculations etc such as one finds in excell is quite a hunt.
If you run across any such tutorials please post them here...thanks and good luck on your quest.

This a great educational resource, I am so grateful I found it. I also intend to get a cyber security degree and having a good programming background will most certainly help. Thanks for sharing everything!