Topic: Help with Rake

Hi there,

I am new to Ruby on Rails and am working through the Lynda Ruby on Rails Essentials course.

I am running Ruby 1.9.2p0, Rails 3.0.9, and Mysql 5.1.5 32bit, on a 32bit Windows Vista Home Premium operating system.

I am trying to get Rake to do a db:migrate.

I have set up the migration files as per course instruction.

When I run rake db:migrate, however, I get the following:

rake aborted!
Mysql::Error: query: not connected: SHOW TABLES

Tasks: TOP => db:migrate
(See full trace by running task with --trace)

Running rake db:migrate --trace provides the following:

** Invoke db:migrate (first_time)
** Invoke environment (first_time)
** Execute environment
** Execute db:migrate
rake aborted!
Mysql::Error: query: not connected: SHOW TABLES
C:/Ruby192/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/activerecord-3.0.9/lib/active_record/connect
ion_adapters/abstract_adapter.rb:207:in `rescue in log'
C:/Ruby192/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/activerecord-3.0.9/lib/active_record/connect
ion_adapters/abstract_adapter.rb:199:in `log'
ion_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:289:in `execute'
ion_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:407:in `tables'
ion_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:424:in `table_exists?'
ion_adapters/abstract/schema_statements.rb:425:in `initialize_schema_migrations_
table'
C:/Ruby192/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/activerecord-3.0.9/lib/active_record/migrati
on.rb:489:in `initialize'
C:/Ruby192/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/activerecord-3.0.9/lib/active_record/migrati
on.rb:435:in `new'
on.rb:435:in `up'
on.rb:417:in `migrate'
C:/Ruby192/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/activerecord-3.0.9/lib/active_record/railtie
s/databases.rake:142:in `block (2 levels) in <top (required)>'
C:/Ruby192/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.9.2/lib/rake/task.rb:205:in `call'
C:/Ruby192/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.9.2/lib/rake/task.rb:205:in `block in
execute'
C:/Ruby192/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.9.2/lib/rake/task.rb:200:in `each'
C:/Ruby192/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.9.2/lib/rake/task.rb:200:in `execute'

C:/Ruby192/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.9.2/lib/rake/task.rb:158:in `block in
invoke_with_call_chain'
C:/Ruby192/lib/ruby/1.9.1/monitor.rb:201:in `mon_synchronize'
C:/Ruby192/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.9.2/lib/rake/task.rb:151:in `invoke_w
ith_call_chain'
C:/Ruby192/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.9.2/lib/rake/task.rb:144:in `invoke'
C:/Ruby192/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.9.2/lib/rake/application.rb:112:in `i
nvoke_task'
C:/Ruby192/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.9.2/lib/rake/application.rb:90:in `bl
ock (2 levels) in top_level'
C:/Ruby192/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.9.2/lib/rake/application.rb:90:in `ea
ch'
C:/Ruby192/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.9.2/lib/rake/application.rb:90:in `bl
ock in top_level'
C:/Ruby192/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.9.2/lib/rake/application.rb:129:in `s
tandard_exception_handling'
C:/Ruby192/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.9.2/lib/rake/application.rb:84:in `to
p_level'
C:/Ruby192/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.9.2/lib/rake/application.rb:62:in `bl
ock in run'
C:/Ruby192/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.9.2/lib/rake/application.rb:129:in `s
tandard_exception_handling'
C:/Ruby192/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.9.2/lib/rake/application.rb:59:in `ru
n'
C:/Ruby192/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.9.2/bin/rake:32:in `<top (required)>'

C:/Ruby192/bin/rake:19:in `load'
C:/Ruby192/bin/rake:19:in `<main>'
Tasks: TOP => db:migrate

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated as I basically cannot proceed any further in my Rails learning if I cannot do something as simple as a Rake command to modify my database!

Re: Help with Rake

Is your database set up?

You need to edit config/database.yml and tell it what database you are using,  the account and password to use, etc.

Joe got a job, on the day shift, at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen, arrogantly twisting the sterile canvas snout of a fully charged icing anointment utensil.

Hi,

Yep, I've got config/database.yml set up with account and password. My rails wouldn't run a demo site I'm working on without it so I had to get that straight. I actually removed the database and recreated it from scratch just in case I'd done something wrong or missed a step...but no dice sad

run your app under the console,  it should give you a better description of what's happening

Joe got a job, on the day shift, at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen, arrogantly twisting the sterile canvas snout of a fully charged icing anointment utensil.

I hate to say it, but not sure what you mean by the console. I take it you don't mean the command prompt as that's what I've been using?

Cd into the directory where your app is located and type

rails console

That will boot the app, and then leave you in console mode,  a command line environment inside your app.

If you have a model in your app called Widget,  you could do this:

W = Widget.find(:first)

And you'll see the results

Ok, thanks for that. I created a model called widget just for the purpose of the exercise. Entering the command you suggested produced the following:

Loading development environment (Rails 3.0.9)
irb(main):001:0> W = Widget.find(:first)
ActiveRecord::StatementInvalid: Mysql::Error: Table 'simple_cms_development.widg
ets' doesn't exist: SELECT  `widgets`.* FROM `widgets` LIMIT 1
        from C:/Ruby192/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/activerecord-3.0.9/lib/active_r
ecord/connection_adapters/abstract_adapter.rb:207:in `rescue in log'
ecord/connection_adapters/abstract_adapter.rb:199:in `log'
ecord/connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:289:in `execute'
ecord/connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:633:in `select'
ecord/connection_adapters/abstract/database_statements.rb:7:in `select_all'
ecord/connection_adapters/abstract/query_cache.rb:56:in `select_all'
ecord/base.rb:473:in `find_by_sql'
ecord/relation.rb:64:in `to_a'
ecord/relation/finder_methods.rb:341:in `find_first'
ecord/relation/finder_methods.rb:122:in `first'
ecord/relation/finder_methods.rb:105:in `find'
        from C:in `find'
        from (irb):1
        from C:/Ruby192/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/railties-3.0.9/lib/rails/comman
ds/console.rb:44:in `start'
ds/console.rb:8:in `start'
ds.rb:23:in `<top (required)>'
        from script/rails:6:in `require'
        from script/rails:6:in `<main>'irb(main):002:0>

post your database.yml,  it looks like it has:

database:simple_cms_development

but that database doesn't exist,  or you manually created a table called widget instead of widgets.

remember that a Model called Widget expects a table called widgets

Hmm. Went back into mysql but that's definitely the right database. It doesn't have any tables on it however, I guess because rake isn't working...so no db:migrate sad

Then it must be login id and or password,  is it MySQL?

post your database.yml

Here 'tis!

# MySQL.  Versions 4.1 and 5.0 are recommended.
#
# Install the MySQL driver:
#   gem install mysql2
#
# And be sure to use new-style password hashing:
#   http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/old-client.html
development:
  adapter: mysql
  encoding: utf8
  reconnect: false
  database: simple_cms_development
  pool: 5
  username: simple_cms
  password: bugger1
  host: localhost

# Warning: The database defined as "test" will be erased and
# re-generated from your development database when you run "rake".
# Do not set this db to the same as development or production.
test:
  database: simple_cms_test

production:
  database: simple_cms_production

Say, I tried reinstalling Rails a couple of times and I noticed these error messages came up. could they somehow be related?

Fetching: builder-2.1.2.gem (100%)
WARNING: builder-2.1.2 has an invalid nil value for @cert_chain
Fetching: i18n-0.5.0.gem (100%)
Fetching: activemodel-3.0.10.gem (100%)
Fetching: rack-1.2.3.gem (100%)
Fetching: rack-test-0.5.7.gem (100%)
Fetching: rack-mount-0.6.14.gem (100%)
Fetching: tzinfo-0.3.29.gem (100%)
Fetching: abstract-1.0.0.gem (100%)
WARNING: abstract-1.0.0 has an invalid nil value for @cert_chain

Dreaming of a rake-filled future...

Well...I solved the problem... reinstalling ruby, rails, and mysql in various configurations didn't work so I just set up a dual boot Ubuntu on my computer. Ruby, Rails, etc running perfectly there. So...yeah.