Topic: Create a string that is owned by a user but related to another object

SO I want a user to be able to generate a code, like a 6 char alpha numeric code.  That should be pretty simple.  But I want that code to to relate to a band.  So the user has a code that relates to a band. I am newer to rails so am not sure on the best structure for this. 

I will be using rails 3.

thanks so much in advance

Re: Create a string that is owned by a user but related to another object

Is there a band model in your app?

Is there any relationship between band and user?

Joe got a job, on the day shift, at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen, arrogantly twisting the sterile canvas snout of a fully charged icing anointment utensil.

There will be a band model.  Users in this case are fans of a band so there is not a relationship from a rails perspective.  The code will allow them to do different things related to the band later.

If bands have fans, and fans are your users,  then it follows that there might be a relationship.

Will you be tracking which users are fans of certain bands?

Joe got a job, on the day shift, at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen, arrogantly twisting the sterile canvas snout of a fully charged icing anointment utensil.

I guess good point.  This is why I posted, because I needed help. 

So yes: Bands has_many :fans

The code is fan specific and band specific.  So a fan could be a fan of more than one band, and have a code for each.

So maybe the Create Code form would create the relationship.  The Code model would need a fan_id and a band_id right?

thanks

Classic example of the has_and_belongs_to_many association

http://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/Acti … gs_to_many

So which piece is HABTM

Band has many fans
Fans has many bands

codes?

You have two choices,

has_many :through
http://guides.rubyonrails.org/associati … ssociation

or

has_and_belongs_to_many
http://guides.rubyonrails.org/associati … ssociation

to decide which you need
http://guides.rubyonrails.org/associati … gs_to_many

has_and_belongs_to_many requires a simple join table with ONLY two attributes,  band_id and user_id.

has_many :through allows you to create a join table with EXTRA attributes.  For example,  if you have an 'interest' tag.  Say a user selects an 'interest' tag of progressive rock,  then selects a band as one he considers 'progressive rock' AND he's a fan of,  and you want to record that tag along with the simple association,  you'd need the join table to have:

user_id
band_id
interest_tag

In that case you'd need has_many :through

The primary difference between has_and_belongs_to_many (HABTM) and has_many :through (HMT) is that HMT introduces a new Model,  whereas HABTM does not.

With HABTM,  all you can do is

find all users who are fans of a band

or

find all bands who a user is a fan of.

With HMT,  you introduce a new model , let's call it 'Fanship'

As you introduce attributes into the Fanship model,  you can do things like

Find all bands who have fans because of 'interest_tag'

or

Find all Bands who have fans because of 'song_tag'

etc.

So you may end up with queries like

@song_fans = Fanship.find(:all, :conditions=>['band_id = ? AND song_id = ?', @band.id,@song.id])

or

@type_fans = Fanship.find(:all, :conditions=>['band_id = ? AND interest_tag = ?', @band.id, @interest.id])

And your Fanship model would be defined like

class AddFanship< ActiveRecord::Migration
    create_table :fanship do |t|
      t.integer  :band_id
      t.integer  :user_id
      t.integer  :interest_tag_id
      t.integer  :song_id
      t.timestamps
    end
end

Last edited by BradHodges (2011-10-31 00:43:41)