Topic: What to learn in parallel with RoR

I'm coming from a more Desktop based background (Java, mostly), but am interested in learning RoR. I have been doing so for about a week, but am curious if there's anything I should be learning in addittion to RoR that will enhance my applications down the road. I was thinking JavaScript..any ideas? Or maybe SQL for app database management? Any ideas other than the obvious HTML&CSS?

Re: What to learn in parallel with RoR

JavaScript, and preferably JQuery

SQL won't hurt either,  but if you want sex and sizzle in your app,  I'd learn JavaScript as presented via JQuery

Joe got a job, on the day shift, at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen, arrogantly twisting the sterile canvas snout of a fully charged icing anointment utensil.

HTML and CSS are the main criteria to get yout head round (You obviously have database knowledge? If not, good database design is essential

Once you get comfortable then start getting your head round TDD - Testing is essential in Rails, far more so than when developing desktop apps as rails is interpreted not compiled therefore you only find typos at runtime (No compiler to pick them up for you) but good ide's help here as well, unfortunately the best IDE (netbeans) has just dropped support for RoR. RadRails is alright but not brilliant, I've just started playing with RubyMine which seems to be a pretty reasonable replacement for netbeans (Paid for) option

The totally superb "How I test" railscast is a great intro into RSpec, factory girl and cucumber which IMO is the ultimate combination
http://railscasts.com/episodes/275-how-i-test

Then you need to start getting your head round JQuery - This is waay simpler in Rails 3.1 to use than previous versions of rails

What you want and what you need are too often not the same thing!
When your head is hurting from trying to solve a problem, stop standing on it. When you are the right way up you will see the problem differently and you just might find the solution.
(Quote by me 15th July 2009)

BradHodges wrote:

JavaScript, and preferably JQuery

SQL won't hurt either,  but if you want sex and sizzle in your app,  I'd learn JavaScript as presented via JQuery

you helped me before as well, MVP status for you my friend.

jamesw wrote:

HTML and CSS are the main criteria to get yout head round (You obviously have database knowledge? If not, good database design is essential

Once you get comfortable then start getting your head round TDD - Testing is essential in Rails, far more so than when developing desktop apps as rails is interpreted not compiled therefore you only find typos at runtime (No compiler to pick them up for you) but good ide's help here as well, unfortunately the best IDE (netbeans) has just dropped support for RoR. RadRails is alright but not brilliant, I've just started playing with RubyMine which seems to be a pretty reasonable replacement for netbeans (Paid for) option

The totally superb "How I test" railscast is a great intro into RSpec, factory girl and cucumber which IMO is the ultimate combination
http://railscasts.com/episodes/275-how-i-test

Then you need to start getting your head round JQuery - This is waay simpler in Rails 3.1 to use than previous versions of rails

yes very true on the complier v interpreted by browser bit. i believe netbeans 6.9.1 is still available though, and it supports ruby. correct me if i'm wrong though, i'm at work and can't stray to far today.

netbeans 6.9.1 and 7 both support Rails 2.x but none support rvm and none support rails 3.1

What you want and what you need are too often not the same thing!
When your head is hurting from trying to solve a problem, stop standing on it. When you are the right way up you will see the problem differently and you just might find the solution.
(Quote by me 15th July 2009)