Re: Parsing data: Part 2

Worked perfectly! The error detecting is amazing. I was able to find the two files that were causing issues and get the problem fixed.

Also, I can totally understand how that much programming under your belt would make ruby pretty easy in comparison. I'm starting at the bottom, with no other programming under my belt, so it's been a struggle trying to get my brain to "think computer". I'm really trying, though.

I'm going to try and digest all this code and if there's anything in particular I don't understand I'll let you know. I'd like to make sure I at least know what everything is doing here.

On the bright side, I at least started with my own script this time without any help... although you ended up doing the whole thing in the end tongue I'm certain I'll post about some other issue I can't figure out again, and next time I want to try and figure out as much as I can on my own. smile

Out of curiosity,  what were the problems you had to fix?

Instead of fixing the crontab.log files,  you should make the ruby program deal with the anomalies.  One thing I didn't think of are comments.  That should be a simple thing for you to implement,  skip any line that begins with a '#' character.

Joe got a job, on the day shift, at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen, arrogantly twisting the sterile canvas snout of a fully charged icing anointment utensil.

Two cron jobs had "Wed" entered into the 5th column for some reason. In this case, that's just a mistake in the crontab entry and would have needed to be corrected anyway.

Not really a mistake,  column 5 is day of week,  Wed IS a day of the week,  but instead of the traditional numeric indication, they used a symbolic indication, that's valid crontab!.   That would be easy to fix,  in cron_parse_part,  see if you can figure it out!

Joe got a job, on the day shift, at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen, arrogantly twisting the sterile canvas snout of a fully charged icing anointment utensil.

Ahh, ok. Well, I'll take a swing at it as soon as I have enough free time to do so. Tis the season to be swamped. Ugh =\