Topic: Problem installing rmagick gem

I am trying to install rmagick gem for use with the carrierwave gem but i'm getting this error

Gem files will remain installed in c:/Ruby192/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rmagick-2
.13.1 for inspection.
Results logged to c:/Ruby192/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rmagick-2.13.1/ext/RMagick
/gem_make.out
An error occured while installing rmagick (2.13.1), and Bundler cannot continue.

Make sure that `gem install rmagick -v '2.13.1'` succeeds before bundling.

tried just gem install rmagick but that didn't work either. I have it included in my gemfile.

Can anybody help?

Re: Problem installing rmagick gem

You have to install the rmagick binaries, separately, first.  You have to make sure Rmagick runs stand alone on your box before you install the gem.  At least that was the case 3 years ago,  when I installed it.  Check the RMagick website for the download for Windows.

Joe got a job, on the day shift, at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen, arrogantly twisting the sterile canvas snout of a fully charged icing anointment utensil.

Hi Brad
I have rmagcik installed and when i try it in the command prompt it works, but i'm still getting these errors.

$ gem install rmagick
Temporarily enhancing PATH to include DevKit...
Building native extensions.  This could take a while...
ERROR:  Error installing rmagick:
        ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

c:/Ruby192/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb
checking for Ruby version >= 1.8.5... yes
Invalid drive specification.
Unable to get ImageMagick version
*** extconf.rb failed ***
Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of
necessary libraries and/or headers.  Check the mkmf.log file for more
details.  You may need configuration options.

Provided configuration options:
        --with-opt-dir
        --without-opt-dir
        --with-opt-include
        --without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
        --with-opt-lib
        --without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
        --with-make-prog
        --without-make-prog
        --srcdir=.
        --curdir
        --ruby=c:/Ruby192/bin/ruby

Gem files will remain installed in c:/Ruby192/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rmagick-2
.13.1 for inspection.
Results logged to c:/Ruby192/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rmagick-2.13.1/ext/RMagick
/gem_make.out

gem install rmagick-win32

Joe got a job, on the day shift, at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen, arrogantly twisting the sterile canvas snout of a fully charged icing anointment utensil.

Hi brad got it working by following this tutorial (http://www.waydotnet.com/blog/2010/02/r … 32-work-d/).
Thanks for the help