Topic: Do we have a something like free web hosting supporting rails

i have been searching for it for a while now,
can ne1 provide me with such site.
bandwidth and space is not an issue.

pls give only those which r CURRENTLY providing free hosting.

thanx in advance

Re: Do we have a something like free web hosting supporting rails

I think you will enjoy Heroku. I can invite you (and anyone else if they're interested) if you'd like.

Last edited by cy-ro (2008-06-04 21:03:48)

Hmm.. cy-ro Heroku is free? I'm new to rails and I'd love to find a hosting company (ad-supported or not) that will let me host hobby apps just to get a feel for using rails and deploying.  If you can.. please send an invite. It looks promising!

I love this forum!

Last edited by nickL (2008-06-10 19:03:00)

It would be worth the effort to get a paid host. I don't think you have any public options.

The main reason being that deploying a rails app is hard for beginners and it will almost certainly involve communication between your and your hosting provider. They need to set up mongrel ports, any gems you require, and help you out when you get that random/unexpected error.

I use OCSSolutions and they offer cheap shared hosting with no set up fee plus great support. http://ocssolutions.com/hosting.html

http://dmix.ca | Toronto Start-ups, Rails, User Experiance and Indie Music

Hey thanks intrudah! I'll look into OCSS.  I haven't deployed anything yet. Still reading books/tutorials/ and playing with my local installation for a few more weeks. Baby steps...

But when I do I didn't want to have to go through the hastle fof setting up a rails server that I'm just gonna be using for hobby stuff. I Just wanted a sandbox environment, thats why Heroku looked interesting. Who else here uses Heroku? And what are other cheap simple Rails hosts you'd recommend for test apps?

I currently host a non-rails VPS on mediatemple and I noticed they recently offered a rails solution. Might look into them as well. Maybe i can use them on my current account.

I appreciate the incite folks!

What what do you know... I feel.. pretty dumb. Mediatemple allows me to host Rails/Mongrel Cluster on my DV. I Just have to install it myself. Sweet!

I won't exactly call it hosting because it's something more than that.  GO to mor.ph and sign-up to test deploy your rails apps.

alain

cy-ro wrote:

I think you will enjoy Heroku. I can invite you (and anyone else if they're interested) if you'd like.

can you send me an invitation too.. btw, is it really free? i'm really looking for such free host for ruby

Last edited by ajibanda (2008-08-07 22:03:22)

cy-ro wrote:

could you send me an invitation, too.. please?

cy-ro wrote:

May I has one, too?
[tobias -dot- bischof] @ gmail -dot- com

could you send me an invitation, too.. please?

a_glasspool at hotmail dot com

I have a Heroku account and can give invites if you are interested.

Could you send me an invitation? Thanks. smile

nagy at bitandpixel dot hu

i would like an invite plz

ahmadhammad[at]msn.com

Last edited by orinj (2008-10-11 12:50:18)

I would like to tell you about free web hosting service I use now.
Register here: http://tinyurl.com/4939nf

They give 1500 MB of disk space and 100 GB data transfer. I am now using them for about 3 months and never seen any downtime of server problems. There is no any kind of advertising on my pages too, so I think its worth to signup.

Last edited by pretten (2008-12-20 02:29:04)

pls.invite me at your heroku account..

You can find many free web hosting sites. But when considering free web hosting why not look for a cheap web hosting it will save so much headeichs. You can check it for one.com and maybe you will consider this almost as a free web shoting

Last edited by lovetodesign (2011-03-09 14:53:19)

hi are you looking for the best hosting service then i guide you to visit this site http://www.tucktail.com/ here they provide free hosting service for each paid domain that we buy from them they also render paid hosting service .i hosted large amount of my domains here .they provide three types of hosting plan they are
economy plan ,deluxe plan and ultimate plan
i choose ultimate plan hosting to host my domain i felt happy with their service.