Topic: Image reloading problem

Hi I am new to Ruby on Rails. I included an image_tag on my home page and then I visit the page on Firefox. The image is showing but if I press 'Reload current page' the image goes away and the alternate text shows.

The images are not loading, every other time. But, they are stored in public/images in the rails directory. If you've encountered this problem before please fill me in. Thanks in advance.-Russell

Re: Image reloading problem

Are you on Rails 3.X?

Now the preferred place to put all your image assets in app/assets/images

Not sure if that is your problem or not,  but might as well get current.

public/image should still work though???

Joe got a job, on the day shift, at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen, arrogantly twisting the sterile canvas snout of a fully charged icing anointment utensil.

I'm on Rails 2.3. I wonder is there anything can be done to improve Rails' ability to serve the image itself?

Could be related to how your caching is set up,  what does your environment.rb
or
environments/production.rb
and
environments/development.rb

have in them regarding caching?

is this happening in development, production, or both?

post the actual image_tag usage  just in case.

Joe got a job, on the day shift, at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen, arrogantly twisting the sterile canvas snout of a fully charged icing anointment utensil.

I've got this in development.rb (it's using development.)

# In the development environment your application's code is reloaded on
# every request.  This slows down response time but is perfect for development
# since you don't have to restart the webserver when you make code changes.
config.cache_classes = false

Changing it to true does not seem to work.

Here's the image_tag:

<%= image_tag "/images/pic.png" %>

Still looking into things that could be causing the images to disappear when the page is refreshed.

does it behave the same with another browser?

Webrick was installed and that was the culprit. Installed Mongrel and now Rails defaults to it. If you want to use Webrick however I suppose there is a patch etc. Anyways I appreciate it.