Topic: Hide code on rails

Hello everyone!

i couldn't find a proper section for this topic, so i had to post it here.

I'm writing a program in RoR that should run on end-users' machines, and i don't want my code to be stolen by anyone. Can I hide my code (and keep it still executable) in some way?

thank you in advance,
Marco

PS: dear moderators, please move this topic if you think there's a more appropriate section, thanks

Last edited by vecchiaspugna (2010-04-01 08:42:32)

Re: Hide code on rails

Hi,

Ruby code can be encrypted using Ruby Encoder.

The RubyEncoder protects Ruby scripts by compiling Ruby source code into a bytecode format and this is followed by encryption. This protects your scripts from reverse engineering. Ruby scripts protected with RubyEncoder can be executed but cannot be used to extract Ruby source code as there is no source code remaining within the protected script in any form.

Refer to site: http://www.rubyencoder.com/ for further details.

Ritesh

wow! that's exactly what i needed!

thanks a lot!

if you were in italy i brought you a bottle of wine
Marco

Hey Marco

Glad to hear that it solved ur problem.

"dovrei dare il mio numero di conto"  wink

Ritesh

Thank you, I too was necessary.

Hi I just tried installing the trail version of ruby encoder and i was able to encode a sample app using that.Can anyone tell me the way to start this encoded app.The code without encoding is working fine.Is there any way to do this?I m getting this error while trying to start the server
undefined local variable or method `config' for #<Rails::Initializer:0xb738a254> (NameError)

Why does this happen?
Thanks in Advance

I think you are trying to encode your environment specific files also i.e. /config/environments/*.rb but rubyencoder could not encode this you have to keep it as it is