Topic: Is ROR a good idea for an intranet based application?

Hello everyone,

I was hoping to get some advice. I want to create an application which is like a library that holds a lot of different information including documents, pics etc where a user can log in and search for different topics and see the definition of terminology. For example users would be able to click on the word 'electical current' and a definition of electrical current would appear with also links to supporting information. The user will not be allowed to edit any information only read it.

I am wondering what is the best language to use to do this? I know that storing all the information in a html file is definitely not the way to go. But I am not sure what to use - whether html linked to a database is a good option (I've heard that this is also not great because your database code is still accessible) or whether ror is a good option. I decided that ror would be a good framework to use but I still have some doubts such as:

1.the application will not be hosted on the internet but only on an intranet would ror still be good for this?
2.the 'site' is basically static except for a few users who will have admin access although it may have more user specific functions later on.
Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

Re: Is ROR a good idea for an intranet based application?

newbie_2_rails wrote:

Hello everyone, ...
1.the application will not be hosted on the internet but only on an intranet would ror still be good for this?
2.the 'site' is basically static except for a few users who will have admin access although it may have more user specific functions later on.
Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

An intranet is fine for hosting a ROR app.  You might have to do some of the deployment a bit differently from what some do in the wider web but you will have a much more controlled environment and I imagine security concerns may be lessened.

I would assume you would basicly have a bunch of stuff you would store in a database and would use the ROR app to provide users easy access.  It would seem to me that ROR would accomodate this type of app well and it should be relatively easy to implement.

I say it's "overkill"

Just like using "Machine gun" to hunt and kill a mosquito.

But the decision is yours.

Using RoR in intranet application is ok, but I should say it once more : it's overkill unless your intranet application is some kind of complicated and large web application.

that's my opinion

I am inclined to agree with the post above - if you just want a content management system, why not look to Drupal, Wordpress, Joomla, or another more plug-n-play solution that specifically handles these types of problems?