Topic: Running daemons - How & Where?

I'm new to RoR and have a project that requires a constant socket connection and all incoming messages to be saved to a file or db.

I thought having a daemon running would be the best way but so far I can't find how to set it up and where in the code structure they belong.

I have the daemon gem installed but can't find any information on how to integrate daemons into an existing project.

Re: Running daemons - How & Where?

Does the daemon even belong in a rails project?  By it's very nature a daemon is really separate from a web app.  Do you want to administer the daemon from your rails app?  start it, stop it, restart it, configure it?   Or do you just need to get a hold of the data that the daemon brings into the server and use it in your rails app?

Joe got a job, on the day shift, at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen, arrogantly twisting the sterile canvas snout of a fully charged icing anointment utensil.

There is no need to administer the daemon from the app - It should be running all the time, saving the data and the app just displays the data that the daemon collects.

If the daemon writes data to a file in the file system somewhere,  you can just read that data from within the rails application using the Ruby file primitives.

i.e.

def showdaemondata

data = File.open('/path/to/daemon/data.txt', 'r') { |f| f.read }

# do something with data

end

Joe got a job, on the day shift, at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen, arrogantly twisting the sterile canvas snout of a fully charged icing anointment utensil.

That's fine, but WHERE do I put the file that contains the daemon code?? 

I've searched the web but can't work it out.

It depends on your hosting provider,  but the fail safe answer is anywhere in Rails.root,  anywhere in the root of your rails app.

You could put it in Rails.root + '/public' ,but then it's open to perusal from the public.

Rails.root + '/lib'  is a typical place to put oddball homegrown ruby code,  but that's more for executable code.

You can make up your own directory in Rails.root, i.e. Rails.root + '/mydaemon',  Rails won't care if there is an extra directory it doesn't know about.  These are all possible:

/home/idals/railsapp/mydaemon
/home/idals/railsapp/lib/mydaemon
/home/idals/railsapp/public  # everyone can potentially see it
/home/idals/railsapp/public/mydaemon  # everyone can potentially see it

Or you could move the directory up one level,  say you had TWO rails apps that both needed access,  you could do this:

/home/idals/mydaemon
/home/idals/app1
/home/idals/app2

In that case you would read the file like this

data = File.open("#{Rails.root}/../mydaemon/output.txt",'r') { |f| f.read }